Thread: Wanted 15' -16' Novatrek Prospector or Supernova.

Default Wanted 15' -16' Novatrek Prospector or Supernova.

Im in the market for my first {used} canoe.

Preferably a 15' - 16' Novatrek Prospector or Supernova.

If you are considering parting with yours, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeky View Post
    Im in the market for my first {used} canoe.

Preferably a 15' - 16' Novatrek Prospector or Supernova.

If you are considering parting with yours, please PM me.
    Do you mean a nova craft prospector when you mention "novatrek". Good luck with finding a used one. They are rare but occasionally come along usually when you have given up and bought a new one. If you are new to canoeing I would recommend that you try out the supernova before you committed to buying one.

Good luck
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Do you mean a nova craft prospector when you mention "novatrek". Good luck with finding a used one. They are rare but occasionally come along usually when you have given up and bought a new one. If you are new to canoeing I would recommend that you try out the supernova before you committed to buying one.

Good luck
    I agree with Mitch if your looking to buy a Supernova you will need to try it before you buy. The Supernova is a great design but is certainly not a beginners craft and may slow your progress on moving water as you are likely to be more worried about swimming than enjoying the thrill of paddling within your limits.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Indeed the two craft are a different as chalk and cheese, the Prospector is a good tandem all rounder where the Supanova is an out and out solo whitewater boat.

Cheers

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

Good luck

Yep. Typo. I did mean Novacraft. I was'nt aware they only came up occasionally. So they are like rocking horse .... are they? Ok. Good to know.
    I think two have been sold on here in Members classifieds in the last 2-3 months.

Thanks for the advice about the Supernova. You seem to be suggesting that thats a bit too much boat, for a newbie, as I am.

Id feel like a cheeky sod walking into a shop, asking to try out a canoe, then leaving without buying. So it can be difficult to try different types.

I have actually been offered a Novacraft Prospector. Im reticent as, it looks a little bit bruised and battered. I not too bothered about the asthetics, and according to reviews Ive read on this forum, they are pretty 'bomb proof'
    I dont want to post the piccies in an open forum, because its not my boat, and I wouldnt do that without the sellers permission.

However, if I could send the pics to one of you guys, just to get a second opinion, that would be very helpful and appreciated?

Thanks.

Pleased to give you some free advice if you want to email them over.

Cheers

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

PM sent Graeme. Thanks.

Im still looking.

So if you have a prospector to sell. Let me know. I may also still be interested in a Supernova. Subject to a closer inspection/having a go.
    Last edited by Deeky; 4th-September-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: addition.

If you can't get a NC prospector I'd look at other prospector type boats before looking at a supernova. Wenonah make a nice prospector, if you're looking for a more whitewater oriented allrounder something like a Legend might do the trick etc. The Mohawk boats might also be worth a look at.

As others have said the supernova is not an allrounder, it's a solo whitewater boat best used by people with some experience. It's not very forgiving and may hamper your progression on whitewater - as wayne says it's hard to enjoy things and push yourself if you're constantly worried about swimming.

What's tempting you towards a supernova? It is a very different boat to a prospector, kind of equivalent to saying you're trying to choose between a 4x4 and a 2 seater sports car.
    'Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are wet'

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post

What's tempting you towards a supernova? It is a very different boat to a prospector, kind of equivalent to saying you're trying to choose between a 4x4 and a 2 seater sports car.

Funny you should mention that. Im thinking of a getting a car, and I cant decide between a 4x4 and a 2 seater sports car.

I'll let you know which one I go for. Although, after your helpful comments, it seems like the Prospector would be a better choice.

As an aside, based on your analergy above, whats the CBR 900rr Fireblade of Canoes then?