Thread: river wye weekend trip 1st TIME advice needed

Default river wye weekend trip 1st TIME advice needed

First post in a long while
    Right im wanting to get a 1st camping trip under my belt , so ive planned a 2/3 day trip along the Wye .

Ive not canoed the Wye before so im looking for good advice on a start point , stopping over point , and finish point , i want a good paddle ( there are 2 in the canoe plus all the kit we need ) (i hope LOL) i want it to take a good 2 days possibly 3 making it easier . but i don't want to be at a stopping over at a good spot 4 hours before i need to be there . Can you stop anywhere along the Wye (in a wooded area ) NOT a camp site i know you cant but is it very restricted so that only 3 stop are available etc etc .
    I want a proper adventure weekend not a camping jolly , i have 30 years of camping experience ( 5 years on mountain bikes 15 years on motorcycle ) so "roughing it" poo in a bag wrap and pack it trips are what im looking for......
    I'm hoping to go before the end of October , im a member of the BCU but have lost the sticker on the canoe , do i need to get this replaced before i go, is it needed etc

Ive looked at other posts on trips but i would like to get a complete deal on this trip , if its as much "fun" as im expecting im looking at getting 4 canoe's together for next year possibly more ( loads of work colleges old ex canoeist ) want to come but are nervous of getting wet again blah blah

to much info is a good thing , so long as its good info thanks for anything you can put in
    He knows not where he's going for the ocean will decide-
    its not the DESTINATION ......it's the glory of THE RIDE

Default It dosnt have to be the wye

meant to put in my thread that it dosn't have to be the Wye , but ive been told that this is the best with easy reach river to go for and the most exciting ......
    He knows not where he's going for the ocean will decide-
    its not the DESTINATION ......it's the glory of THE RIDE

Default This should be in FAQ

You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigholty View Post
    meant to put in my thread that it dosn't have to be the Wye , but ive been told that this is the best with easy reach river to go for and the most exciting ......
    Most people who are camping will start at Glasbury. The Wye is a nice lazy river to paddle, but don't expect much excitement on that section.
    Mike
    " Never knowingly under equipped! "

Officially you have to use the campsites, which aren't always situated at the right place for your intended paddling itinerary. Some of the campsites are your "jolly camping" style as you have put it and some are really basic. ie. porta loo and open fires.

In reality at that time of year a discreet wild camp is feasible. Mind you last time I did a wild camp on the Wye it was pheasant genocide day and there were guys with shot guns all over the place. Had to be very careful.

If you want long days on the water you could do Glasbury to Preston on day 1 (23.5 miles) and then down to Holme Lacy on day 2 (19 miles). The campsite at Preston is basic. Has a portaloo/standpipe and nothing else. Fires are allowed.