Thread: Hammock questions.

Default Hammock questions.

Hi,
    I am hoping to be making a hammock using the instructions from another post, but how could i fit a mosquito net to it. Is it just a zip that attaches them both together?
    And my other question is whats the best knot to tie a hammock to the 'tree huggers'? I am totaly rubbish with knots so i know how to tie a knot and then i make it up as i go along.
    And my last is if i make one with a cover over the top aswell to make it into a pod type thing or would it be best to get some tarp that isnt too big and do it that way?

Thanks all,

Joe

My old military hammock has the netting sewn to the bottom on 3 sides with a long zipper to let yourself in and out and is attached to top (roof) on all 4 sides. But mine is a bit dated and I am not sure what the new ones look like. I have to wear mine out before I upgrade. I am sure there are some boy scouts out there that have special hammock knots but I only use about 4 or 5 knots for everything. While the boy scouts were learning knots I was out chasing girls, but on my hammock I use a bowline on one end and a truckers knot on the other to get the tension how I like it. It may be wrong but I have some fond memories from missing knot class.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

I would not be that keen on trying to make an enclosed hammock, an open hammock and tarp has many advantages. it gives you a dry living area you can cook under etc plus you can see what is going on around you.

If you are using tree huggers you can use a lashing instead of a knot. See here for details

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/setup.htm

I personally use climbing tape for suspending my hammock and this does away with the need for tree huggers. The knot I use is basically a "Falconer's Knot" which is a good quick release knot so easy to take down in the morning but strong enough to not let you down during the night.

As tot he midgie net you can either attach these as suggested but again this can be quite enclosed feeling or you can have a separate net that hangs down like the Eco System and group buy ones.
    John

Hi,
    I think it will be better to make an open hammock then put some tarp over it. That will keep me busy over the next 6 weeks. As for the knots, well i think they went alright. I think my dad knows the truckers hitch one but i think i already got it. Althought i will need to practise those alot.
    Cant you use karabenas to attach the hammock to the tree huggers or will they just slip? For the tree huggers, do you have two loops in and one end passes through the other and then the hammock attaches to the loop that passed through the other loop. I'm confused. Damn
    The videos are good and i will watch them again and watch closer.

Cheers for the help, its much appreiated,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeG
    Cant you use karabenas to attach the hammock to the tree huggers or will they just slip?
    You can but then you need to attach your rope to the carabiners

For the tree huggers, do you have two loops in and one end passes through the other and then the hammock attaches to the loop that passed through the other loop. I'm confused. Damn
    You can do it that way or attach your rope by going through both the end loops on the tree huggers.

The reason I moved away from tree huggers is that with the variable size of trees I encountered they were almost always too long or too short. Using climbing tape meant it did not matter as much as long as I had enough tape.
    John

Hi,
    So i think i know how to set one up now. All i need to do is make one But most of all find the fabric to make one.
    Thanks again WhyAyeMan and MagiKelly.

Cheers

Joe

Why not use roof rack straps as tree huggers, we have them with us anyway, and they are definitely strong enough? They are infinitely adjustable for length.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Thats a good point Al. But you could you attach them to the hammock ropes. The only way i can think would be to put it around the tree loose and then tie the rope onto that. But then you could tie the long bit thats left over onto the bit of strap going round the tree to form a loop and then tie the hammock rope onto that.

Cheers

Joe

Sort of related to JoeG's query - I have just purchased a rather smart midgie net for my hammock, of the 'hang over' variety. Can anyone advise whether the bottom edges are supposed to touch the ground, or just hang down?

I'm a bit concerned that in a real midgie storm, enough will find their way inside through the gaps to make themselves a nuisance. (I am assuming that a midge invasion can be modelled using the concept of Brownian Motion!)

For those with similar nets - can you advise how you rig yours, and how well you find it copes in bad West Coast midgie conditions!? I'm thinking of maybe hemming mine along the bottom to seal the blighters out once and for all, but I want to check first if this is necessary!

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

David the insect netting does not need to touch the ground. The pressing of the net against the hammock is enough to seal out the midgies. At the Loch Achray meet up the midgies were as bad as I have ever seen them. There were about 6 of us using the insect netting this way and none of us had problems with midgies getting in.

Next time we are meeting up I can show you the set up if you want. Also if you do a search on BCUK for Hammock Insect Netting you will probably find loads of info.
    John

Thats a good point Al. But you could you attach them to the hammock ropes. The only way i can think would be to put it around the tree loose and then tie the rope onto that. But then you could tie the long bit thats left over onto the bit of strap going round the tree to form a loop and then tie the hammock rope onto that.

Cheers

Joe
    the roof bar straps are my tree huggers and ropes in one - round the trunk, tighten and tie off loose end to a karibiner attached directly to the hammock

works for me anyhow

Good idea Aquanaut. I can see how that will work. And that doesnt need any hand knots.

Cheers

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanaut
    the roof bar straps are my tree huggers and ropes in one - round the trunk, tighten and tie off loose end to a karibiner attached directly to the hammock

works for me anyhow
    Many thanks for that

I was just thinking about the same thing having just received a hammock and mozzie net and wondered where I could get some climbing tape and realised the canoe straps should be strong enough and I already have those anyway and at least I won't forget to take them (hopefully).

Many thanks to Beachlover I received them this morning.

John (MK) please knock me off the next mozzie net list

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

got the nets today John - thanks alot - I am very impressed with them

sorry - wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    There were about 6 of us using the insect netting this way and none of us had problems with midgies getting in.
    Great, that gives me enough confidence to try it out in anger. I just remember an awful night spent once in a tent with mosquito netting (i.e. not midgie proof). Boy would I hate a repeat of that one!!

Cheers,

David.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.