Thread: West Lancs Routes

Default West Lancs Routes

Hi all, been reading this site all day (boss is on holiday!) and must say it has made compelling reading.

I bought a Sevylor Colorado a few months back to throw in the boot of the car when we go on our caravanning trips (note to self - next time look for caravan sites near water - it usually helps! ).
    Anyway, me and the lad managed to take it out for the first time last weekend on the river Wharfe near Bolton Abbey, and we were completely hooked.
    Apart from the Sevylor 5 piece paddles that came with it and which 2 of the blades fell off within the first few strokes prompting me to jump in the water to retrieve them (I'm sure I am meant to stay in the kayak!), everything went extremely well and we managed to avoid scalping each other with the blades.

We live in Preston, Lancs and although the lake district is only a 60 minute drive away and the Lancaster canal is on the doorstep, I would be interested to know if anyone knows of any good stretches of river runs on the Ribble, Wyre or Lune (or any others in the area for that matter)? Reason being we liked a bit of current and the odd little white water bit as it made things a bit more lively (think we would get bored quite quickly on the canal).

Advice on suitable mid price paddles that stay together would also be gratefully received - looked at the TNP combi ones but don't know how they rate or how sturdy they are.

Thanks all.

R. Lune Kirby Lonsdale to Gressingham is an easy paddle - just one rapids/shoot where railway crosses at Arkhlome/Melling

"White Water Lake District: A Canoe and Kayak Guide to the Rivers of North West England (Paperback)"

....is definitely worth buying if you're serious about paddling NW rivers - it'll warn you whats up ahead and prvent any nasty suprises.

TNP are cheap and cheerfull - at low end of performance spectrum but sturdy enough and miles better than what you have.
    You'll probably start cheap and then buy more and better kit as you get addicted (ending up with 10+ paddles 2/3 of which you never use)
    -- or you could just buy the 200 carbon blades now