Thread: Hi there

Default Hi there

Hello, I'm Baz. I recntly (Easter) bought an Old Town Camper, which I am using relentlessly on my local river (in Essex) Slowly I am finding out all the good places to paddle, which has taken me up to the Broads and across to the Great Ouse (some scary & defensive Swans!!!)

I have been inspired by your threads on sailing canoes - and have just finished making a rig, from some old aluminium paddle shafts and an old spinnaker from a Mirror Dinghy. It flies! I hope to post up some photos when I get them.

Great site and would love to here peoples recommendations for paddling around the East/South East.

Cheers Baz

Welcome to SOTP. Glad to have you with us, and look forward to seeing pics of the sailing rig in action. Which rivers have you paddled in Essex? It's not that far from where I live Kent. In fact I can see essex from my kid's school playground across the Thames, though getting there takes a little longer. I've thought of paddling the Crouch or the Blackwater sometime (if I ever get any time ), and have been told by a sailing relative that the Walton Backwaters are well worth a trip, though they sound a bit exposed to me.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Default re Hi There

My nearest is the Colne, I live on a riverside village so great access. The other rivers I have done are the Stour, from Cattawade to Flatford Mill, additionally we are planning a Sudbury to Cattawade canoe/camp for the start of August. I have heard that the Blackwater is good paddling too, but yet tro get down there.

Welcome Baz

Sounds like you have been making the most of your paddling time since getting the canoe. I will be interested in seeing your sailing rig too. I only recently made one I can use solo and have really enjoyed the benefits when I get them.
    John