Thread: Norfolk Open Canoers

Default Norfolk Open Canoers

There have been a few emails from people who live in Norfolk...my wife Mary and I are new to Norfolk. We have had some good trips on the Broads and the River Yare.

It might be that there is sufficient interest to organise a trip with fellow paddlers. It would be good if some kind person(s) who know the area well could be involved... even better if we could find someone who could teach us how to paddle properly...

Doug

Although not in Norfolk - I'm just down the A11 - and may be interested in meeting up with a few folk - Keep me posted.
    Regards

SuperNova

Sounds good. Only problem is I haven't got a canoe (yet!).
    "You ask a glass of water."

Default Paddling in Norfolk

Hi Guys,

I spoke with Rose (another norfolk paddler writing on here occasionally) earlier today after reading your posts - we both agreed, why not! Let's try to make some plans to get together for a paddle. It's always good to meet new paddlers!

Biggest problem for me & probably for all you guys too is finding a good time. Do people want to do a day at a weekend or an evening paddle?? I'm away a lot at weekends (paddling, usually in Wales - Rose & I are at the Tryweryn this weekend) so evenings are easier for me at this time of year, but I'm sure we could find a weekend date somewhere if peeps prefer.

I have a pretty good knowledge of the rivers around Norfolk so could suggest some good venues depending on where people are based & the amount of time we want to be on the water.

I'm a coach so am happy to give some guidance where requested but still just as happy to learn from others too.

(Biddlesby - if you're still without a boat by then, just let me know & I'll bring you one along to borrow if you want to go solo, or if you'd prefer to hop in with one of us you're welcome to tandem up!..... sorted!)

So - for starters evening or weekend? What's the preference?

Jas

Default Evenings or Weekends

Both are good for us... looking forward to it...

Doug

Sounds great. I'm up for either. Perhaps an evening for starters. Would be fantastic if you had a spare canoe - 'floating around' - to bring. I will have done my 1*, maybe 2* also, by then!

Default Norfolk Paddle

Why don't we plan for an evening paddle soon then?! Which evenings suit? Let's see if we can find an evening to suit everyone....I can't do Wed or Fri eve's. Also we'd best choose a week when everyone's around 'cos it's that time of year when everyone's off on hols (except me it seems)!

Where about are you guys based - would be good to choose a river more central for everyone so that no-one has a long haul.

Does everyone prefer the rivers above the navigable sections of the broads? I do as we can avoid the cruisers & it's much more peaceful up there Ė anyone else got any preferences?

The best options which I know of are sections of either; R.Bure, R.Wensum, R.Yare, R.Waveney or N.Walsham-Dilham canal - anyone got any more ideas? Any preferences?

Jas

Default Norfolk Open Canoe

Above Navigation is the way to go... I live in Norwich... Any evening except Wednesday... school holidays don't affect me... any river is fine with me...

Doug

Week days is good for me too. Some of my more favourite rivers are a bit overgrown and soupy at the mo, but not to worry there are still plenty to choose from. Anyone for Tuesday 8th, Monday 14th or Thursday 17th August?

Looking forward to meeting more fellow paddlers yaaay!

any of those dates suits me

Doug

Default sounds good

sounds like a good idea i love the broads never paddled them just holidayed on crusiers, it would have to be a weekend trip maybe camping as i live all the way in cumbria but i would be up for that
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 27th-July-2006 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Fix Font (couldn't read it)

Shall we settle for the 14th August, Costessey Mill to Hellesdon Mill on the river Wensum??

If it turns out to be very windy in the wrong direction then we can change the route quite easily. Post here if you want to join us .

Closer to the date we can arrange times, extra boats blah blah blah

Default Looking forward to it

Rose

Count us in...

Doug & Mary

Oooops sorry Retro just realised you wanted to do a weekend. Unfortunately Jas and I aren't around much on the weekends at the mo. Perhaps later in the year...?

Rose

Default Norfolk open boaters!

Looks like we've got a date for a then!!

So, we've got:
    Rose & Jon,
    Doug & Mary,
    Me plus dog and possibly one other

I'll get on the jungle drums & pass word around to see if I can rouse some more interest!

Any more for any more........

Looking forward to meeting some new paddlers!

Jas

Is this an evening?

14th is fine for me, if I can fit somewhere in a canoe.

Biddlesby

- this is an evening paddle and Jas has a spare canoe she can lend you or there is space, if you prefer to tandem up with one of us .

Rose

Fantastic, cheers. Solo would be nice but whichever is the most convienient. I would have though it would be quite a burden taking two canoes!

I may be available for this one - normally evenings would be difficult for me given the distance but I'll be on Holiday on 14th so may be able to make it - I'll keep you posted.
    Regards

SuperNova

Default More Norfolk Paddlers

Excellent!! The more the merrier! Keep us posted Supernova.

I've sent a few e-mails around other open boaters I know in the area, so might persuede a few more people out - could be quite a crowd.

Biddlesby - no probs - will throw you a solo boat on the van. Just one extra is easy - I'm usually towing a trailer of 8 .

What's the earliest people can meet in the evening? We can sort out logistics next week.

Jas

Fantastic, cheers. I might also be bringing another along - we'll have quite a flotilla !

Default Norfolk Paddle Plans!

Hi All,

Thought it was time we made a few more detailed plans for the 'Norfolk get together' next Monday. Sounds like it could be a good bash!!

The plan is to run from Costessey Mill to Hellesdon Mill. It's only a short stretch but should mean that it will be manageable before dark for those paddling solo. There's just one portage right at the end to get around Hellesdon mill.

If we all meet at Costessey Mill (Grid ref: TG177128 -If you type this GR into multimap.com itís spot on), thereís a small car parking area at Costessey, there should be space for everyone to leave vehicles. We reckon if we aim to get on the water for 6.30pm thatís realistic to give everyone time to get there after work??

Iíll arrange for a vehicle to be left at the end of the paddle to shuttle drivers back (itís only a short shuttle). If you could let me know how many vehicles (& hence drivers) need a shuttle back that would be good so I know which of our vans to leave at the bottom!

Iím bringing a boat for Biddlesby, I assume everyone else has all the kit they need?

I hope this fits with everyone but if not, these arrangements are totally flexible so let me know if thereís any issues.

Is that everything? Have I forgotten anything??

Looking forward to meeting some new paddlers and some old ones! There should be quite a group of us . Fingers crossed for good weather..

Jasmine

Default Norfolk

Jas

Mary and I could get there by 5.30 pm

Doug

Sounds excellent - I'm 75% certain at the moment - will confirm at the weekend. I may bring my son along - He needs some practice for his 3* - but we will paddle tandem.
    I will be driving and will need to be shuttled.
    Regards

SuperNova

Default Earlier start for some????

Doug - I know some can't make it 'til 6.30pm but if ya want, I'll check to see if I can get there by 5.30 & if so we could go for a paddle upstream & back before the other guys arrive to head on down - a good opportunity if you'd like a bit of coaching?? Let me know if you're interested.

Anyone else???

Supernova - we'll count you in for needing a shuttle unless we hear otherwise on Monday!

Looking forward to meeting y'all! I've russled up some more interest from this end, we could be looking at around 14 people on the water

In case anyone has any problems finding the place or anything, my mobile no. is 07788 560477.....

Jas

6.30 is fine for us... easier than 5.30 really...
    Doug

Everything sounds fine for me. I will be doing the first half of my BCU 1* tommorrow so will appreciate the time to practice!

Scrap that . The course was undersubscribed and was cancelled! But I had a nice paddle around the broad anyway.

Default Norfolk Marshes

Has anyone considered a salt water paddle.
    I have been to Blakeney a few times but never managed to get to the point.
    Does anyone think a paddle to Blakeney point to see the seal colony would be a feasable open boat paddle?
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Just to confirm we will be there. See you later today
    Regards

SuperNova

Default Tonight's paddle

Well sounds like we're all sorted. According to my calculations there'll be a minimum of 12 of us (in 9 canoes & one kk...sorry!), maybe a couple more. The weather is forecast to at least stay dry (got everything crossed).

Will see everyone at 6.30pm at Costessey, shuttle will be sorted by then!

Looking forward to it!

Jas

Default Norfolk Marshes

Hey David,

You're absolutely correct, that is a lovely paddle, I've been out there a couple of times & the seals out there are very inquisitive & cute!

Naturally you have to be careful with weather & tide but it's a lovely trip.

Jas

Just wanted to say thanks to Jas for organising an excellent paddle on Monday. the weather though not great stayed dry and I think a good time was had by all. It was a lovely stretch of water as well quite different to the navigations that we normally paddle. Hope to see you all on the water again soon.
    Regards

SuperNova

Hi Gary, alias supernova (doesn't it seem as if you've got one up when you know someone's real name ) - Thanks for that!!

And thanks to Doug & Mary for suggesting a get together in the first place.

Just a shame that despite the weather staying dry, I couldn't too !!! I hasten to add I wasn't anywhere near a boat at the time - does that still count as a technical swim???!!!! I've got a corker of a bruise on my shin from that rock which threw me in.

We had a party of 11 of us in the end. It was great to meet new people - we must keep in touch for future paddles! Most improved paddler of the evening was definately Harry alias Biddlesby (- second name score for me today ) who managed the whole paddle solo after just a few pointers on the j-stroke!

Of course thanks also to Rose & Jon, Harry & anyone else who also put up with a wet muddy dog of mine in their boats for most of the trip!!

Here's to more watery meetings!
    Jas

Thanks all - especially to JasW who lent me that [fantastic] canoe ! That stretch of river is wonderful - with some tunnels of foliage that only a canoe could get through. I learnt alot - those pointers on the j-stroke (and the other one with a goofy name that I can't remember) meant far less trips to (and far less getting stuck in) the overgrown fringes of the river ! I even managed to pull off a couple of indian strokes .

Give my regards to the dog (forgotten the name). A cheery companion that probably forced me to improve my balance in the boat.

All in all, a great paddle and I hope there will be more (just as long as my legs recover in time from all that kneeling!).

Default Wensum

Thanks to all, especially Jas... a beautiful river straight from the set of Wind in the Willows and great company...

I wonder if our next trip might be to see the seals... some one has suggested this... is this an evening or day trip? I guess the timing needs to be co-ordinated with the tides and we all need the right safety gear...

Any thoughts?

Doug

Cool Costessey Trip

New member so only just found the way in here , I'd also like to thank Jas and Rose and anyone else who organised the trip, and who thought of asking local paddlers like myself. Although I've done the trip a few times before never was it with such good company, looking forward to our next one

Cool Costessey, cont'd

Just noticed: me a Junior Member? Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Just noticed: me a Junior Member? Wow!!
    Don't worry, it refers to your post count not your age
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Don't worry, it refers to your post count not your age
    Thank you for pointing that out, I though people had been talking, I don't look THAT old do I?
    Leone_blanco

Hey Chris!

Who let you in here!!!

Good to see you've found your way! Was good to catch up on the Costessey paddle - thanks for joining us, as ever the more the merrier!

There have been a few people here abouts showing interest in a coastal paddle - Blakeney or the like. Maybe we'll have to convince Tim to organise one of those .....he seems to have the tide times for those down to a tee......provided you enjoy mud baths

Also - when are we gonna get together for this freestyle stuff??

Thanks to everyone for all the thanks for organising the paddle - not that I did much except suggest a venue. As promised (to Doug & Mary at least) I'll try to scribble down here some other paddles around Norwich as soon as I get a minute!

(Chris - I will see you on Weds eve again this week. Don't know if I'll be in open or kayak as yet).

Best wishes,
    Jas

Cool Blakeney

Hi Jas et al,

A coastal paddle would be brilliant, I'll chat to Tim, I'm sure he'd like to put something on for the Open fraternity!

I've posted something somewhere else on a Freestyle session ,
    not sure where now!

Aren't these smilies great!! Well done, MagiKelly, a brilliant website.

Chris