Thread: Rams Island, 29th July

Default Rams Island, 29th July

I'm heading out to Rams Island with my son Jonny (aka Vampire Duck) on Saturday 29th of July. If anyone wants to join us we would be glad of the company.

Rams Island is on Lough Neagh 1 mile from the eastern shore and almost completely covered in trees. (a hammocker's paradise)
    Check it out here
    http://www.ramsisland.org/

We intend to paddle out and spend the day exploring the island both on foot and by canoe. Last time we were there was February so I am looking forward to seeing it again at this time of year.

The warden has given permission for a campfire and if anyone wants to stay overnight they can. The cars can be left at the Boat club in Sandy Bay which is where we will to paddle from.

Let me know if you want to join us and I will give detailed directions and arrange a time to meet.
    Last edited by Big Al.; 22nd-July-2006 at 11:25 PM.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Count me in! I'm happy to share my canoe - first come, first served.
    peterkm

Hi Pete,
    glad you can make it. If we aim to be at Sandy Bay boat club for mid-day on saturday it will be fine.

I have put a marker on the "Hot Spot Map" so that everyone will know where to start from. Rams Island doesn't show on the road map part so you have to go to the satellite picture to see it.

If you need any more directions or want to meet at Upper Ballinderry just let me know.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

My wifes family is from Antrim. We were up that way a while back nice spot. Would have loved to do a bit of paddling around there.

Next time I have to visit the in laws maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne
    My wifes family is from Antrim. We were up that way a while back nice spot. Would have loved to do a bit of paddling around there.
    Give us a shout before you come and we can arrange something, I have access to spare canoes so you won't be stuck for a boat. If you are into rivers there are a few in the Antrim area as well.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Al that would be great. I shall let you know when I am next over your way. Beautiful part of the world.

Default Winds

I've been checking the weather for tomorrow's trip to Rams Island and we might have a problem. The wind is forecast to pick up from the South-east, which would be great on the way out but make for a slog on the way back. I will do a proper check in the morning to be sure, but if there is going to be a problem it would be good to have an alternative venue.

I'm thinking of paddling from Killyleagh to Salt Island on Strangford lough. This would mean paddling into the wind on the way out, so we could sail back which is always appealing. Salt island has a bothy and a small forest behind it for shelter and hammocking practice etc.

If anyone wants to suggest any other alternatives please feel free, even a river trip would be good although there isn't much water about.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Angry Trip Cancelled

High winds and driving rain have caused us to call off the trip.

I met Peterkm at Sandy Bay as arranged, and we decided to postpone the trip until better weather. The wind was blowing off shore making the water look flat calm as this was the leeward shore. But we watched one of the sand barges about a mile offshore, coming into the bay with waves breaking over it's bow. It would not have been safe to venture out in those conditions.

Watch this space for new arrangements.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb