Thread: Get outs downstream of monmouth

Default Get outs downstream of monmouth

Just wondering if anyone knows any convenient get outs on the Wye below Monmouth, at Redbrook or Bigsweir Bridge? (or somewhere in the vicinity).

Cheers.
    'Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are wet'

Hi
    Tintern Slipway left bank just before the bridge. Watch out covered normally
    in MUD . Might need to use ropes
    Tony

Redbrook looks like it ought to be feasible (looking at Google Earth), and there are a couple of car parks there. I'll stop off and have a look on Wednesday on my way up.

Think Tintern is probably to far down, too tidal and muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    Redbrook looks like it ought to be feasible (looking at Google Earth), and there are a couple of car parks there. I'll stop off and have a look on Wednesday on my way up.

Think Tintern is probably to far down, too tidal and muddy.
    Great, Redbrook would be about right. I'm thinking of alternatives should the Monnow be too high, you're right about Tintern being too far but it's useful info for a future paddle. As the Monnow needs winter levels to go at all I'm hopefull it will be fine
    'Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are wet'

Theres a nice big carpark as well at the get at Redbrook - and a pub!

Though the pub is a strange place with cobweb encrusted windows.

Roly

Default brockwier

theres a really good slipway just upstream of brockwier bridge on river left. used it last week after our mammoth trip down from hay.

theres a sort of little wharf and a couple of rings to tie on to whilst you unload the boat then a dinky old slipway next to it.

theres parking to load up the car as well thats free. come down the a466 from monmouth and go right over the wye bridge at brockwier and its immediately on your left in the car.

easy.

if you do the extra couple of miles to tintern its tidal and can get muddy/ slippy to get out and its busier next to the rd.

Amelia

I've paddled the lower Wye years ago but can't remember exactly where we got out. I'm hoping to paddle out the Wye and up to the slipway at Beachley soon. From the bridge the Severn looks very slack close into the bank and I recon it's possible to go against the tide. I'll report back once we've tried it.

If it works it would be a great get out as the slipway is next to the pub! and the lower Wye is a very beautifull paddle.

Steve C

Default Redbrook, Bigsweir, Brockweir, Tintern takeouts

All of these are possible, having been there in recent weeks.
    1. Redbrook a straightforward bank, river left below the bridge, nice pub across the river, good shop on the road, straightforward parking.
    2. Bigsweir actually a bit of a struggle. You get out river right before you reach the bridge (as thereafter it is very private, and the domain of fishermen). If you look for a pontoon, where there is often a fisherman, you can then portage by going up the grassy bank, counter-intuitively turning RIGHT away from Bigsweir Bridge, but then shortly afterwards linking up with a diagonal path and turning LEFT which takes you to a gate (watch the barbed wire), with a carry over to the bus stop layby. A lot of manual handling, although you can use a robust trolley on the grassy paths. Not very comfortable even when you hit the roadway, as it is a narrow approach towards the traffic lights system on the bridge.
    3. Brockweir. As indicated, an excellent take out, river left just before the bridge. Remember this is tidal, so circumstances vary. The quayside can sometimes be very muddy. It looks as though repairs have been done to the quay this year, and I note that the adjacent Quay House is currently being re-built and is up for sale. But this is a public facility, and neighbours there seem always very friendly. Driving in for the pick up with a canoe trailer can sometimes be tricky; one way of avoiding the extremely difficult left turn on to the quayside as you come over the bridge is to carry on ahead and just a little way up the hill in the centre of the hamlet, then reversing in to a road/car park on your right, and then coming back towards and turning right on to the quayside. Once on that quayside road there is a useful patch of ground on your right, after The Quay House, where you can reverse the combination, and even wait for groups paddling downriver, before coming back along to pick them up from the quay.
    4. Tintern. The Abbey car park is excellent - if you can get up to it! Look for the Abbey itself, river right below the bridge, and you will spot a very convenient lamp post at the top of an extremely muddy and slippery path. There is also a solid post. This is good practice for a Z drag pulley system! A shop and a pub right there can produce rewards for valour on this tidal take out....

best of luck with the beachley exit. the severn always looks pretty treacherous to me. mud, mud, more mud and big big tides...

also - the pubs prob just not worth it - try getting out at chepstow if you want to go that far downstream and try the boat inn - a better bet i reckon... there's a slipway river right just after the iron bridge and before the new rail/ road bridge...

Default Take out at Tintern

A little bit muddy and not a takeout that I would like to try on my own. A spectacular land mark though.