Thread: Where to buy?

Default Where to buy?

Anyone know where to buy 'hollow fibre' insulation such as that used in sleeping bag's? Tried a Google search but no joy. Fancy making a top quilt for the hammock and possible adjustments to an old sleeping bag to make a 'peapod' type arrangement.

Nigel
    Last edited by nigelp; 21st-July-2006 at 06:13 PM.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

My tip would be to try the ever useful PointNorth.
    They have all kinds of useful stuff ...

Nigel,
    Your post has got me thinking, you know when you lay on a sleeping bag, you compress it's insulation and so in a hammock its gets cold. What if you could attach a layer of insulation to the outside of the hammock? Then it wouldn't get crushed and so be more effective. This would negate the need to put a mat inside your sleeping bag. Just a thought, anyone think it would work?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hi I did try Pointnorth but they only sell Thinsulate.

What if you could attach a layer of insulation to the outside of the hammock
    I have an old sleeping bag, and have cut a hole in the foot end so it can be 'threaded' over the hammock hanging loose underneath and with the facility to zip it up, with the zip running down the centre (pea-pod). It is however a bit narrow in places so i was either going to make it bigger, or leave it underneath as a blanket; this way I would use a top quilt which I was going to make with Pertex and insulation.
    On BCUK there is a group buy going for an underblanket, but at home I have several sleeping bags that may be ripe for 'adapting'. I want to try the hammock for winter canoeing and also Ski Touring in February!

There are several sites with information about hamocking including one that has an informative newsletter, however most of the information for suppliers is in the US!!

http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al.
    Nigel,
    Your post has got me thinking, you know when you lay on a sleeping bag, you compress it's insulation and so in a hammock its gets cold. What if you could attach a layer of insulation to the outside of the hammock? Then it wouldn't get crushed and so be more effective. This would negate the need to put a mat inside your sleeping bag. Just a thought, anyone think it would work?
    Yep that is what a lot of people do. I have an underblanket already and it is a great bit of kit. I am also testing the group buy sample this weekend.

The only down side to an underblanket is that you need to be able to sling your hammock. If you are using a thermarest inside your sleeping bag and you cannot hang the hammock you can still set up the tarp and sleep in the ground using the mat on the outside of the sleeping bag. An underblanket would be no good in this situation.
    John

Hi John will wait for your test of the underblanket!! The photos on BCUK looked good but needs a proper test I think. I am sure there will be another group buy for the under blanket should it prove successful as many on BCUK are waiting to see a review/test of it before commiting themselves to the first purchase.

and you cannot hang the hammock you can still set up the tarp and sleep in the ground using the mat on the outside of the sleeping bag
    I have considered this, a bivvi/hammock would offer an extremely flexible sleeping system for both canoeing as well as for mountaineering and backpacking.

http://www.junglehammock.com/ease2.php

A waterproof base and pull over shell for the top would be great for those occasions where a hammock is not a viable option. I may buy a cheap bed quilt today in town and open that up to see what the insulation is like.

I could just buy a ready made set-up but there is a challenge in creating/adapting your own equipment!!

Nigel
    Last edited by nigelp; 22nd-July-2006 at 10:13 AM.