Thread: Nottingham - river trent

Default Nottingham - river trent

hoping to get our open canoe this weekend (me & the lad !)

anyone got any ideas on a good stretch of the trent to go for our first steady run out - watering holes at reasonable intervals prefered

also, where can you launch to take advantage of these areas

Default R Trent

Hi Ady

the bit of the trent we have done most often is the section from Twyford down through Swarkestone to King's Mill. Bit closer to Derby than Nottingham but a good stretch of moving water with a couple of easy rapids at these flow levels. I know you can launch from the car park at Holme Pierrepont and paddle upstream past the embankment for some way. Have just looked at the map and it may be possible to launch in Beeston of Riverside Road and paddle up to Thrumpton Weir without any portages. Any idea which day you had planned for a trip out? Selena and I could come and join you if you would like the company.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default adyb

when we get the canoe i think we will try and launch at holme pierrepont and have a paddle back towards / beyond trent bridge (fitness depending), just to see how we get on etc. would like toorganise a day out at some stage, but wife and kids are away for next week, so will have to wait till after that - will try and contact you in a week or so ! thanks for the offer.

Hi,
    A good one is to get in at the kayak club, cross over the river and go up the canal until Beeston weir, you go up a steep bank and you haul the boats over the fence, rejoin the river and carry on down the river. You go fast down the river because of the flow, and it takes little effort. And where you re-join the river you can chill out and cook something if you wont. Its a good trip up the canal, lots of people that are on the way to town will stop and watch and sometimes say hi. You go past the night clubs/ pubs which is fun. Its better to go in the day because theres less motor boats. The trip is 10 miles but there are lots of places you can stop and have a rest/ have a snack. There are some locks you need to portage round, but they are pretty easy to do. Its just the end one to get back in the river thats a pain, its very steep and theres no 'easy' way to get around it.
    Another one is you can start at The Ferry Boat pub, you can go down river to Gunthorpe Bridge, theres a pub there that you can go into. I dont know about leaving your boat, when i did it there were lots of people there so we were able to leave them by the water. I dont know about going any further down, theres a big weir and i dont now about portaging around it. Its a 4 mile trip( there and back) and is good fun, lots of different things to see.
    After that you can start at the ferry boat pub and go up river. There another weir there and that might be a bit of an annoyence to pass. We did it in kayaks unfortunatly so we just put them on our shoulders. Theres a sand beach there( its very small) that you stop on, Its a raised path type thing with steps, but you should be able to get past it easy by putting the boat on the wall.( i think theres on there) If you do this then go up across. Theres a small gap on river right that you go between. You carry on up the river untill you get to Holme Peirre Pont. Keep a eye out for paddles. This can make the trip even more fun. When you get to Holme Peirre Pont you can rest and chill at the bottom of the course on a wall/ big step thing. If you wont to go any further up i think you will have to go into the entry where the canal is and get out and carry the boat up a steep ramp and carry it past the lock. Then re-enter again and carry on. This trip is also 4 miles and is fun. There are alot of things you can look at on the way and try to find.
    The one on the canal is good when you wont to paddle a trip and its windy as the canal blocks most of the wind. Keep a eye out for motor boats coming boat ways! You can just find them coming close up to you or appearing out of no-where. And if you get tierd you can just float down the river and chill out. Its best when you dont have to be back at a certain time, it means you can chill out more and see whats there and explore the river. On the ones that are lower down then Holme Peirre Pont you can look in the trees for paddles, watch out for needles though!

Have fun and i hope to catch you sometime on the river,

Joe

Default Trent

Thought we'd have a paddle on the Trent anyway. Put in at the picnic site at Farndon near Newark and paddled upstream. Lots of danglers but easy to keep out of the way as the river is so wide. This section is marked as a waterski area but didn't prove to be a problem. We paddled upstream to Fiskerton against the flow and a head wind. The last 1km was a bit of a struggle round a long bend, but the sight of the pub at Fiskerton kep us going.
    After an excellent pint it was back downstream. With the flow to help us paddling was much easier, even though the wind seemed to have switched round for some of the way back. Couple of ski boats about but no real problems.
    Overall a very pleasant stretch of river and worth exploring further.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Rob F

Put in at Shardlow.
    You can head up the canal northwards & eventually meet up with the river (after a 200 yard portage)...10 mile circular route.
    Or go south to Trent Lock...you can then carry on up the Trent or Soar or Erewash canal.
    Some nice views & a gentle paddle.
    Cheers Rob F

Default trent canoeing guide

Hi all,
    iGreens has a detailed guide to the Trent. http://www.igreens.org.uk/canoeing_the_river_trent.htm
    Take a look. Do report any errors or updates. We try to keep up to date.
    jim

Question

I'm on a week long course in the Newark area next week. I'm not to clued up on the area, can any one suggest put ins near by or any local info as i plan to try to get out on the Trent for a couple of hours in the evening. I've noted Chris's suggestion of Ferndown. Is the put in far from the car park?

Thanks,

Jamie

Default Rob F

A lovey 10 mile circular route.
    Park literally outside the Forrest ground near the Nottingham canoe club.
    Travel 200 yards over the Trent & get on the canal network. You pass through about 3 sets of locks in the outward 5 miles. Portage of 100 yards to get back on the Trent. The paddling is easy on the way back.
    About 3/4 hours paddle in a Canadian.
    Rob F

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW View Post
    I'm on a week long course in the Newark area next week. I'm not to clued up on the area, can any one suggest put ins near by or any local info as i plan to try to get out on the Trent for a couple of hours in the evening. I've noted Chris's suggestion of Ferndown. Is the put in far from the car park?

Thanks,

Jamie
    pub at farndon is riverside approx 10m to water
    long time since i was there pub food was ok then
    if you go south of farndon you can get to averham wier nice as the water is warmed by the power station ( at least it used to be years ago)
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    if you go south of farndon you can get to averham wier nice as the water is warmed by the power station ( at least it used to be years ago)
    So they had power stations when you were young? now that surprises me?
    Leone_blanco

Thanks, I think i'll start at Farndon and try the circular if time permits.

I havent put in at Farndon before, but the car park is good. My Grandad used to live there, but i dont think i was paddling when he lived there. Anyway, there are all different places going down the river where you can put in. The last time we went there, lots of fishermen were there. If you wont to do abit of white water, theres Newark weir. You can play in the eddies and i dont think its too deep. I dont know wats abit further down from the weir, i never went down. But you should be able to paddle down the canal, i havent done it, but i think you should be able to. If you need directions andhow to get there from Newark, then i will be able to guide you in. Theres a car park there, there are houses justover the canal, so if you change try and do it discretly. You can et in at the canal/river from there aswell. The car pack is muddy there aswell, and theres a narrow bridge to where the point of put in for the wier is, so if you go on that bit, your canoe might not fit. I cant remember how wide it is. And i cant remember where else you can paddle.

Joe

Thanks for all your info. I put in at Farndon a couple of times and went from the slipway adjacent to the nursing home near Bleasby up stream from Hazleford lock, an ideal spot to put in. The parts of the Trent i was on were a big version of the medway.