Thread: Blacks Tent

Default Blacks Tent

I want a Blacks of Greenock Good Companion Major, complete with the extra large fly in good condition. Pie in the sky I expect?
    Richard.
    What a long strange trip its been.......

They do come up on eBay sometimes and I got one a few months ago complete with standard single pole and the 'A' pole setup. I've seen three go in the last year.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Uh-oh - got the canvas tent bug like me. Ever thought of a de Waard tent (Dutch). Amazing.
    PWC

I was outbid by 4 on the last one on thEBay. Rarely do I see one with the extensive fly. Bugged by canvas for years, hence the Venor Lavvu. I have used Force Tens in the past, but the Companion has a living space more suited to my needs, and is a far more stylish but basic design. Patience I suppose.
    I will look up the de Waard item.
    Thank you,
    Richard.

Journal Entries

I had one of these until fairly recently, was my fathers and the tent we used when camping as a family. Unbenkownst to us, our garage was leaking down the wall and the fly rotted, (about 5 foot of it!) the zip rusted into a single 'mass' and the bottom of the doors rotted too. Was gutted at it's demise and as a result the garage was tried, found guilty and executed! Salvaged the lovely thick plastic groundsheet and the A frame thingy (have an idea to maybe make a 'midgey tent' out of mesh) I also kept the bag it came in for a wee sniff now and again

Good luck with your search, a great tent with some great memories for me.

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

I am so impatient! I am now considering a Force 10 Mk5. I know though that if I obtain one a GC Major will come up for sale and I will be even more disappointed!
    On the subject of the Vango, do the models manufactured today employ the same grade of cotton material I remember from my youth,(Egyptian then, Protec-something now)?
    There must be a Good Companion out there somewhere............
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKOND70 View Post
    On the subject of the Vango, do the models manufactured today employ the same grade of cotton material I remember from my youth,(Egyptian then, Protec-something now)?
    On our Scout Force 10s the cotton on the newer (4 years old) tents is the same as the older ones (prob 20ish years old).

Quote Originally Posted by NIKOND70 View Post
    There must be a Good Companion out there somewhere............
    Probably. Not seen one myself for over ten years though. Have you thought about someone like these guys making a copy? Not sure how much it would cost you though
    Last edited by Luke Winstanley; 7th-August-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: addenum
    And thou shalt have a paddle De 23:13

Hello Richard,

We have lots of Vango Force 10s at work both old and new. I would say that the canvas is the same quality as it's always been but unfortunately they now come with a lightweight ground sheet which isn't waterproof! Why they chose to do this is a mystery as noone in this day and age would choose a Force 10 for backpacking?
    The chap at my workplace with responsibility for procurring our tentage contacted Vango who said they did not intend to go back to the tough, waterproof, reliable groundsheet material beloved of Vango owners for probably half a century and suggested we use footprints beneath the groundsheets!!!

Still a very good tent in my opinion (if you remove your outdoor shoes in the porch and put on your wellingtons).

An idea I've been nurturing for a while is to get two old Vango mk 4s or 5s and to make them into a single tent with doors at each end! Has anyone on here tried that? Or does anyone on here have the skill to do the machine sewing if I ever manage to get the two required tents?

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post

An idea I've been nurturing for a while is to get two old Vango mk 4s or 5s and to make them into a single tent with doors at each end! Has anyone on here tried that?
    Many moons ago my brother made a fly sheet to connect two Mk 5s together with 6foot ridge pole ending up with a long two bedroom tent with utility area in the middle.

It was very practical and still gave the option of using them singly.

Investigation has bought up the "Relum" make. They look very similar to force 10's to me. Do any members have an opinion on them?
    Richard.

I had a Relum several years ago. Good quality canvas, strong poles. Mine was a 7-man tent so it was a bit heavy. I really needed a trailer for it with the three kids in the car.

How about getting one of those bell-end flysheet extensions that go on the front of Force 10s, giving you a massive living / cooking space with awning etc ? They can be sourced second hand or I am sure someone could make one up to fit.

I love my Force 10. Good idea getting the Mk5 as the Mk4 is really only a comfy two-person tent
    PWC

i looked for a blacks Gc a while ago on this and other sites but they are like rocking horse poo!"!
    ive a friend who has one in his loft so im working on it
    nature is m X-box