Thread: Bcu 1*

Default Bcu 1*

Was thinking of doing the "BCU 1* Canoe. 16 yrs +" course at Whitlingham Outdoor Centre. Just wondering if you had any advice/tips?

I think the best thing to do is to read what you need to do, practise it and practise some more to make sure you are confident with doing it, then do it.
    Why is it 16 yrs+, from guessing i would think its a normal 1* test, but then i could be wrong. I found the 1* easy to do, i dont think they(BCU) make it too challenging to do.
    Have fun and good luck.

Joe

The BCU Open Canoe Syllabus here http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/bcu/...oe%20tests.pdf should show you what you need to know. I think 1 Star is meant to be fairly introductory to draw people into the sport, rather than raising a barrier to keep them out. But it's definitely worth doing IMHO. I did it after padling for a year, and I still learnt quite a lot.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

The 1 star is meant to be reasonable for beginners - so most folk can achieve it after a few sessions paddling. Enjoy the course - with good coaching you'll learn plenty hopefully.

Thanks all. I don't expect this to be amazingly challenging, but I figure it's best to start from the bottom up.

At the club we do a course for kayakers who want to learn canoe. We do a 1 and 2 star over a full weekend. Mostly 2 star kayakers will be up to 2 star canoe by the end of it. Relative novices will get the 1 star without difficulty.

Well I got myself booked on the 1*, but also the 2* while I was at it! (with a bit of time inbetween to practise) So, am looking forward to that .