Thread: Leed/North Yorks paddle anyone?

Smile Leed/North Yorks paddle anyone?

Ok, having realised that there seems to be a load of you on this forum who paddle in the Leeds/n yorks area I think it would be rude not to isee if anyone is up for paddle at Slenningford this weekend to help me christen my new prospector! Water permitting i would be up for a paddle either sat or sunday (15th/16th). Happy to do a bit of coaching too if folk would like.

Or if anyone knows any better water then i' up for something new too!

Whos in?

Hi Merlin
    I would be up for Sleningford. Would prefer Sat but could do sunday if that is the concensus.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Hi Merlin
    Saturday is out for me but would probably be up for a paddle on Sunday.Rain is well needed but forecast says it's going to be sunny and warm so we will probably be restricted to the pools. Mike B...

Default slenningford

if i can get my new toy early enough on sat morning i feel it will be necessary to take a break on the way back down the A1 round about the slenningford area (tragic isn't it).
    i wont have any buoyancy in it or anything else for that matter, but so what, with other paddlers about i'm sure i'll be looked after
    andy m

Default How about the Derwent (Yorkshire version, that is)

David B has suggested the Yorkshire derwent from Howsham to Elvington this weekend. I have played Howsham a few times in my k k and access there is fine. Not so sure about Elvington though. Although on multimap it looks feasable! (very optomistic, me!) Looks at first galnce like something bewteen 6 and 8 miles to me so a good day out of flat ish touring maybe g1 doubt if it reaches G2.

Anyone up for it? Bit of new water and all that!

Merlin(Matt)
    edit: Second thoughts it looks more like 11-12miles so definatly a good day out!
    Last edited by Merlin; 11th-July-2006 at 09:38 PM.
    dog-dirty and loaded for bear.

I would be up for the Derwent.
    I have not paddled upstream of Stamford Bridge but i know that there are at least 2 weirs between howsham and Stamford Bridge. There is a large public carpark at Stamford Bridge parking at elvington is a bit restricted by the river but the access is good.
    It is a navigation and all flat water between Stamford Bridge and Elvington and very peacefull and shady with lots of overhanging trees and I have been told that Otters have been seen on this stretch.
    Mike B ( my Brother) and I did it when it was really stonking and the trees were no problem. Though my bruv may say diferent as it was his first time out solo in his new 16ft prospector.
    Also the Ouse is a posible from Bishopthorpe boat yard (Near York Race course) upstream through the Centre of York with lots of interesting Bridges paddle as far upstream as we like then back to Bishopthorpe ,one pound launching Fee no shuttles and safe parking.

Anyone up for a float on the (yorkshire) Derwent this Sat? Howsham to Elvington looks like a lesiurely paddle. One or two weirs but nothing dramatic (especially not at these water levels!)

Looks about 13 miles to me so a good few hours to be had.
    Some pics and info here http://www.igreens.org.uk/yorkshire_derwent.htm

Whos in?
    (ps - no water slenningford at the mo'. Was told by the campsite that even the pools are bony! )

Default River Derwent

When David B and myself did the Derwent it was high and fast so didn't get much chance to actually paddle it just plonked in the paddle and ruddered nearly the whole length.I was worried about the trees but they didn't present any real probs and now the level has well dropped they should present no probs.

Me negotiating a fallen tree that stretched almost right across

A very pleasant trip.Mike B...

Would love to come along but have planned a day doing what the family want on Saturday and I have to work on Sunday (Shift work!*,:';!) the plus side is that I managed to convince them that a family day at Pugleys Country Park in Wakefield would be nice..... oh! did I forget to mention thast one is able to canoe there? must have forgotten to mention it.
    Leone_blanco

Default derwent

might paddle up from elvington to me you coming down if i can get down early enough with my new boat. i couldn't get there in time for the start as i have to pick my new boat up early sat morning from up north.
    is the river ok to paddle with any buoyancy in the boat as i wont have time to fit any in. ive paddled plenty of kayak befor and a bit of open boat over the years but none recently
    andy m

You should be ok that was my first time out in that boat no air bags and at that time still very much a novice and the river was very high and quite fast and the wind was horrendous.
    The company with which you would be paddling is excellent David B would make a damn good instructor and has his boat safety certificate so in the unlikely event you do take a swim you will have experienced help at hand.
    Mike B...

Talking times and stuff

How does 10.30am on Saturday at Howsham bridge sound? Unload gear, put all the cars at the egress in Elvington and bring all drivers back to the top in one car. Float/paddle/eat/drink/laugh our way down to elvington! Sunny day!

Thumbs up Derwent - north of Elvington

The Derwent north of Elvington is very pretty with verdant green banks - I paddled it last week and made good progress upstream. The Put In at Elvington is OK - park near the bridge and carry the canoe through the railings on the upstream side - we went past the grey "military looking" boat and put in on the spare jetty after the boat.

What's the consensus about the paddle this weekend as I'm in Tadcaster and could perhaps make it - I'm new to the site so am just finding my way, but love the Derwent and have been on it quite a bit - Pocklington canal is an option - you turn left going downstream on the Derwent at East Cottingwith (I think!).

Andrew - Taddy

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

I'd love t ocome and have a try out - still deciding what boat to get.

But out with the land rover this weekend.

So thats Andrew and David B in by the sounds of it? Anyone else? Howsham bridge, 10.30am tomorrow?

(sorry you cant make it eds - have fun in the landrover!)

YEH!
    I am in 10:30 at howsham sounds good.

Not been in here for a while but thought I'd have a check in and see what's going on. Elvington sounds good but I'm going up to Ripon early in the morning to see how the going is down to Linton On Ouse, maybe York if the day goes well. Wanted to take the Land Rover to Masham Steam Rally but not alloing late entries. Forecast look good so thought I'd get wet instead

If Saturday goes well and weather holds I'm planning on doing same on Sunday, maybe just to Boroughbridge or Linton on Ouse though.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by andym0611
    might paddle up from elvington to me you coming down if i can get down early enough with my new boat. i couldn't get there in time for the start as i have to pick my new boat up early sat morning from up north.
    is the river ok to paddle with any buoyancy in the boat as i wont have time to fit any in. ive paddled plenty of kayak befor and a bit of open boat over the years but none recently
    andy m
    Andy give us a call tomorow to see where we are.I have PMd you my mobile No.
    Most boats will float with no boyancy it just makes any rescue a lot harder.

Bugger!!!
    Just got back home after being away with work for two weeks(and hence missed this trip). Any one heading out on the water on Sunday?
    Phil.