Bow Depth23" / 58.5 cm
    Stern Depth23" / 58.5 cm
    Bow Rocker5" / 13 cm
    Stern Rocker5" / 13 cm
    Average Weight58 lbs / 26.5 kg
    Max Capacity 6" Freeboard850 lbs / 386 kg
    Gunwale SystemIQ2 / Wood

Makers Writeup

Rebirth of a classic, the Caption is the benchmark for tandem open boat whitewater.
    Shallow Arch Hull
    Highly Rockered Hull
    Ash Thwarts (2)
    IQ Cupholders (2) (IQ only)
    Last edited by Chrish; 27th-June-2008 at 10:44 PM.

For some reason I seem to have a picture on me

I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova

I wonder why that is

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Ok i got my grubby little hands on mine now, too early for a review yet but here are a couple of pics on the just delivered boat without any fittings just me sat on a loose saddle (but beaming inside)

I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova

Let's give credit where credit is due. The Caption was designed by Steve Scarborough and team at *Dagger* canoe. I knew Steve from having inspected his boat at several Southeastern Canoe & Kayak Championship slalom and wildwater events on the Nantahala River in North Carolina. (Uganda.)

Steve was an outstanding slalom open canoeist. I saw him win in his stripper prototype of the Sunburst.

When I bought our first OC-2/OC-1 canoe in about 1998, I chose between the Dagger Caption and the Mad River Synergy. The Caption was better for tandem and heavy water use. The Synergy was better for solo cruising with gear, and was very fast for a whitewater boat. I bought the Synergy.

Mad River's opinion of these boats is seen in that they let the Synergy die, and resurrected the Dagger Caption. In my opinion, the Caption remains one of the best class 2-3 tandem whitewater boats, but is a bit wide for optimum solo use.

First, a correction. The Caption and my MR Synergy are almost exactly the same width, so the Caption should work as a ww solo for most people.

A puzzlement. MR is describing the Caption as "fishform." I'm sceptical, both from having seen them "live" and from examining the pics others have posted here. "Fishform" means a canoe that is wider in the bow and narrower in the stern. Swedeform means the canoe is narrowed in the bow and widened aft of the center. Swedeform canoes may glide better when paddled firmly. Fishform boats accelerate better, usually.

If you want to see obviously fishform boats, go to millbrookboats.com and look at the Howler, the Prowler, and the Ignitor. If you want to see obviously swedeform canoes, look at Mad River's new Expeditions, the 176 and 186.

Back in '98 when MR was making the Synergy, they also claimed it was fishform. It isn't. It is very distinctly swedeform. I've sampled the fishform effect by paddling my Synergy sitting backwards, and it's interesting...... but never mind that now. If someone has a Caption and "knows" it to be fishform, turn it over and take some pictures. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can locate the designer, Steve Scarborough.