Thread: look what ive found on ebay!!

Default look what ive found on ebay!!

hi all,
    ive been trawling ( no pun intended, you'll see why) ebay and came across this.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Prawn-Pot-Crab...QQcmdZViewItem
    ive ordered a couple as i'd thought that it would be handy to take in the canoe in coastal waters escpecially if im going to camp for a while.
    what do you all think?

the usual stuff, im not connected in any way to this bla bla bla...

regards
    james

Journal Entries

I've seen these in the Glasgow Angling Wharehouse but have never used one. They do strike me as being ideal for the canoe, although you will need to add a marker float etc for use. I think JimH may have one but do not know if he has used it.

Apart from my home made mesh ones these are the type I use for controlling the numbers of signal cray fish in a local trout stream.
    For bait I use tinned cat food in the bait net at the top (you can get a whole trayful from quid shops),stab holes all over the tin (I sharpened up an old Philips srewdriver), then add a roof tile to keep them tight on the bottom and secure to the bank.
    I have also taken a couple of lobsters from the Solway with these rig exactly the same as for Crayfish but aquire the smelliest bait you can get hold of and drop the traps over the rocks at low tide.To secure them you need to calculate the height of tide and allow enough rope to keep them on the bottom.for a marker I use balloons but have also used plastic milk bottles before tied through the handle.Leave a full tide before lifting.
    Don't site them anywhere near the locals traps cos they won't be there when you get back!!. Mike B...

Would there be crayfish in most freshwater rivers or only in some?

James,
    That's a belter of an idea

Wouldn't have a clue about your neck of the woods mate but they are becoming prolific in the North of England (Yorkshire).
    The signs to look for are holes in the bank about the same diameter as a rat hole but under water and seeing as the little bu***rs feed/hunt mainly at night, walk the river at dusk and if they are there you should see them trundling along the bottom like little tanks.Make sure you know the difference between signals and native whiteclaws the latter are protected.Pick up by the carapace stay clear of the claws they will flick their tails like mad when you catch them which will make you jump when it first happens.Put them in a bucket of fresh water for 24 hrs to purge them,then give them the deep freeze treatment before cooking or you will hate yourself when you see them trying to climb out of the pan.Boil in heavily salted water for 5 mins for small ones 8 mins for larger specimens.I serve with a mayo based dip with finely chopped Ramsons leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice. eat as you would a prawn I.E. remove tail and open like a prawn remove dark vein down centre of back (poo pipe) the flesh in the claws is also worth the effort it takes to extract. Mike B...
    Last edited by Mike B; 6th-July-2006 at 09:12 PM.

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default survival and crayfish traps in Scotland etc

Hiya folks,

I'm a bit of a survivalist at heart and tried these traps out and well these traps do seem to be very good to use however I'm pretty certain that they are illegal if they are used as "fish traps". (but in a survival situation they would be a lifesaver) If you use them on the coast then you would need a pretty heavy weight to get them down to the sea bed and a very long line with float. I've used them on the coasts from canoe and they can be very very dangerous to use from a small canoe if they are weighted with a risk of the line pulling you line etc. But hey the lobsters /crabs are worth it!

As regards to the american signal crayfish, they are on the uppper reaches of the Clyde and I believe that they are in the Tay although not sure where but I'd imagine they would be near Perth.
    I don't think American signal crayfish are that established in Scotland anywhere to make them a target for food harvesting for canoeists although I may be wrong.

I think we have to be very careful where, what, when and how we take things from the wild to eat while out and about.

I used to work for SNH and even on National Nature Reserves pollution affects all of the biodiversity to some degree or another...

We need to be aware of fishing laws, game laws and even such things as airguns/snares etc which any well intentioned responsible survivalist honing their skills could practice, cannot practice without certain written permissions etc. I have a gil net as issued to airmen in their survival packs which is always in my survival kit but I've never practiced its use as this would be illegal except in a survival situation...

I have a friend who regularly hunts rabbits with an airgun on the foreshore of coastal islands while canoeing but if he strayed above the hwm he would be breaking the firearms laws...

Woodsmoke
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamesoconnor
    hi all,
    ive been trawling ( no pun intended, you'll see why) ebay and came across this.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Prawn-Pot-Crab...QQcmdZViewItem
    ive ordered a couple as i'd thought that it would be handy to take in the canoe in coastal waters escpecially if im going to camp for a while.
    what do you all think?

the usual stuff, im not connected in any way to this bla bla bla...

regards
    james
    I had one of these once - advertised as a minnow (bait fish) trap. Never caught a minnow in it, but I did catch crayfish. For minnows we use an ancient minnow net - about 25 foot long - which works very well.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Dear All,

It's worth pointing out that in England, a licence is required to trap crayfish (whether they be invasives or native). Trapping, release or translocation is covered by current legislation and is an offence unless you have the necessary licence.:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/freshwater/crayfish.htm

Further, the use of traps of any type in many (if not most) UK freshwaters is illegal / controlled.

If in doubt, contact your local environment agency office:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

I won't go into detail about how I know this, but suffice it to say, I 'have an interest' in this type of thing.....

Of course in the sea, you are generally fine to use these types of trap (just try not to annoy the local fishermen - every time I've set a creel under a buoy, I've returned to find it 'missing' - I now set them by scuba diving. If I intend to set a creel, I generally ask a question in a local fishermans pub - a couple of pints and a polite chat goes a long way to improving relations...). However, bear in mind also that there are also 'no catch' zones for crustaceans in various areas around the UK coastline.

Sorry to appear negative, but as woodsmoke says in his excellent post above, we need to make sure that we respect both the environment and legislation - sometimes we do not have the necessary experience, training and knowledge to fully appreciate the ramifications of what might appear to be a completely innocent activity (imagine the field day that the 'anti canoe' anglers lobby would have if we were caught advocating doing something illegal on a river......).

hth

Matt
    Last edited by MattW; 7th-July-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Journal Entries

You could probably make one of those on the go from a bug jacket or mosquitoe net and some willow branches. I grew up on a farm and don't eat the seafood. I guess that makes me fussy but I am not into filter feeders or giant aquatic exoskeletal insects. In a survival situation I am more likely to eat my bow paddler.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan
    In a survival situation I am more likely to eat my bow paddler.
    Unless it is Al

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan
    in a survival situation I am more likely to eat my bow paddler.
    I always choose my bow paddlers based on their suitability to be eaten! I am still trying to find a publisher for my books "101 recipes for bow paddlers" and "I'm sorry but its me or you"

Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-July-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed bassett
    [WhyAyeMan]in a survival situation I am more likely to eat my bow paddler.

I always choose my bow paddlers based on their suitability to be eaten! I am still trying to find a publisher for my books "101 recipes for bow paddlers" and "I'm sorry but its me or you"

Please let us know when they are in print.

Does posting it twice - bring in twice as many publishers?
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Does posting it twice - bring in twice as many publishers?

Ooops! My hands are designed for holding a paddle rather than pressing buttons and my brain is more ludite than tehnophile. You should see me trying to text message on my phone!!!!!

Seriously though I am currently researching for a book "canoe camping in France" Which is a guide to rivers in France that have campsites, canoe routes and outfitters on or near their banks. No publisher yet but I'm having a lot of fun visiting the less touristy rivers in a country that doesn't suffer from restrictive access laws!

Hi Ed. Just checking but I presume you know that there is widely available a map of France that shows all the canoeable waters, campsites, hire shops and outfitters ? Wish we had something like that here :-(
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Hi gwing,

thanks, yea I'm using the map as the basis of my research. The fact is that when I talk to French paddlers it is apparent that there are a good number of paddleable rivers that didn't get onto the map.

The French Canoe Association produced the map after asking all the member clubs to pinpoint the rivers in their area. Mostly they didn't tell them about the "best rivers" wishing to keep them to themselves!

Hi gwing,

The French Canoe Association produced the map after asking all the member clubs to pinpoint the rivers in their area. Mostly they didn't tell them about the "best rivers" wishing to keep them to themselves!
    Surely not. I mean, we are talking about the French here aren't we .

(Carefull what you say here - my partner's French and may end up trying to sink you sometime )
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Hey Rob,

its a very small world! My partner is French also . She regularly tries to sink me!

We have a house in Normandy that we use as the base for our explorations. Well when I say "a house" I really mean a project that will be a house again sometime this millenium.

Ed (If I can't get there in a canoe I don't want to go).

Journal Entries

Hey Rob,

its a very small world! My partner is French also . She regularly tries to sink me!

We have a house in Normandy that we use as the base for our explorations. Well when I say "a house" I really mean a project that will be a house again sometime this millenium.

Ed (If I can't get there in a canoe I don't want to go).
    Hmmm. (shakes head) sounds terribly exotic.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

exotic isn't a word that has ever been used to describe it but I'll take anything I can get!!!!!

It is just over 400 years old, timber framed with walls made of cow sh t and clay! One day it will be a three bedroom detached cottage!

Apart from the advantage of being in a very rural location it also has three really nice rivers within easy reach. None of which are in the official paddling map mentioned earlier!!

Hey Rob,

Smaller than you think - she's from Normandy as well! I've been thinking of possibly taking the canoe to play when we next visit her family in Yvetot, so if there are any decent rivers near there not on the map please pass the word.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

This is getting spooky! Our house (hovel) is not that far from Yvetot, just outside Luneray in a village called Greuville.

If we are ever in France at the same time we should go for a paddle.