Thread: Oil Canning?

Default Oil Canning?

I have noticed in the last few weeks that base of my canoe is becoming a little more flexible than it once was. (OT Allagash, approx 18 months old.)

I assume this may be better know as oil canning, does anybody else have any experience of this?

Does it affect a boats performance? Are there any long-term effects? Is there anything that can be done to either rectify or prevent the possible problem escalating?

Given that the last few week in the South East have been pretty warm is it more likely to occur in hot weather when both the air and water temperature are higher than average?

Any comments welcome

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SunburyAndy
    I have noticed in the last few weeks that base of my canoe is becoming a little more flexible than it once was. (OT Allagash, approx 18 months old.)

I assume this may be better know as oil canning, does anybody else have any experience of this?

Does it affect a boats performance? Are there any long-term effects? Is there anything that can be done to either rectify or prevent the possible problem escalating?

Given that the last few week in the South East have been pretty warm is it more likely to occur in hot weather when both the air and water temperature are higher than average?

Any comments welcome
    Over here we refer to it as "oil panning," in reference to the oil pan, or sump, on a car bottoming out on rough roads. My MR Explorer does this. It has a slight V bottom and that style bottom, or a flat bottomed canoe, is more likely to oil pan than is a round bottomed canoe.

I did have this problem with a cedar strip canoe. A diamond shaped piece of glass fabric layed in the center of the canoe and resined in (on the inside) took care of the problem. Not sure what can be done with a plastic canoe. Royalex will take glass fabric, but I've never bothered with the MR.

For the most part, I don't think it is much of a structural problem - just annoying.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

That's just what Old Towns do. I don't think it will slow you down enough to notice. Just cut a stick and wedge it under the thwart.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...