Thread: Hi there from Dorset!

Default Hi there from Dorset!

Just thought I`d say hello as a newcomer to this great site, so pleased I found it. I have been staring blankly at 3 sheets of ply and a tin of epoxy for weeks, possibly months, so any kind/brutal words of encouragement most welcome as the summer is whizzing on by.........

Starting is always the hardest part.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Welcome to Song of the Paddle. I admire anyone who is making their own canoe applaud you for even getting as far as buying the materials. There are a few people on here who have made their own so I am sure they will be along shortly to offer more constructive help (no pun intended )
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    There are a few people on here who have made their own so I am sure they will be along shortly to offer more constructive help (no pun intended )
    Hi, All I can say for constructive help is that I managed to make a fairly respectable canoe last winter, and I had NO prior woodworking experience whatsoever. I'm sure you are therefore far better equipped than I was, but if you think I can help, just ask!!

Advice? - just go for it! Cutting out the panels is pretty quick, and though I'm sure they *should* all be absolutely line perfect, mine weren't and it didn't seem to matter all that much (fill the gaps with epoxy later ). Joining the planks is easy, but take your time to make sure they are aligned right. After that, the stitching is the best part. You'll go from a load of planks to a canoe shape in an afternoon - after that, there'll be no stopping you.

More info on boatbuilding here and here. Do yourself a favour and decide in advance how much time you have available, and how good a boat you want to make (I guess your choices are 'hey - it floats!', 'nice work', and 'ooh - can I touch it?'), then just go for it. Good luck!

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.