Thread: Canoe and camping

Thumbs up Canoe and camping

Hi, I have been looking into buying a canoe for a while now. I hope to use it in Scotland for canoeing and camping with my daughter and possibily son too (he is not overkeen on water ). I live in Berwick Upon Tweed but holiday several times a year in the Highlands.

I am after advice on what equipment, canoe etc I should be looking at and where to canoe/camp. Also local day trips if possible. Also any clubs or groups we could join.

This seems a great site, so hopefully you will help me out .

I am considering an Old Town Charles River 16ft. Tent wise I have been looking at the Vango Equinox 350. I want something to withstand good old, bad Scottish weather . I also looked at the Old Town Allagash. Costco in Edinburgh do the Pelican Colorado for 297 but I was advised not to buy that as it is single skinned and can be inflexible. I have already picked up some useful tips on this site. I have canoed both kayaks and open in the past but looking at only open now.

Hi,
    I was out on Loch Lomond t'day with a friend who just purchased an Old Town Charles River canoe, I have a 158 Discovery but I've got to say that I was very impressed with the Charles River model, more traditional looking than mine, as a matter of fact, if I could get a good price for mine I'd go for the Charles River myself.

HI
    I was after a charles river myself but bought a discovery 158 and love it, I dont own enough kit to fill it though and paddle it solo most of the time with no problems.
    If your after a tent try BLACKS,we've been using there own brand "KINTYRE" now for 12 months great If i've got the kids

I have the Charles River PE, and got to say I love it, I've tried it solo, double, rivers, flat water, sea, and even slept under it !

In a couple of weeks my nephews will be visiting and and will be able to tell you what it's like with children in it.
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

For tents I thoroughly recommend The North Face. I have used a Tadpole 23 for 18 months, it is classified as a 3 season tent but this has been exposed to extreme mountain camping in Wales year round and is as stable as I have seen, otherwise look at Terra Nova, the Quasar range being particularly good or for a budget buy the Wild Country Q2, pretty much the same as the Quasar of a few years ago. Cotswold outdoor have a good range of tents and BCU members get 15% off at least.
    Leone_blanco

Welcome to Song of the Paddle, lots of questions there.

Canoe wise the Charles River has been reviewed by Matto here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/old...les_river.html but before you discount the Pelican so quickly. It is essentially the same as the Coleman reviewed here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/coleman_journey.html For the money it is very hard to beat. It is single skinned but I suspect it would take more of a beating than royalex. It is stable and dry but it is heavy.

Of course if money was no object I would get the Charles River but rarely is money no object.

Now speaking of money being no object. A good spacious tent that will take plenty of abuse is a Tentipi or Lavva tents. The nylon versions are amazingly light for the size and the cotton ones are heavy but built to last. Lots of room for the kids to play if the weather turns wet (in Scotland, what are the chances )
    John

Hi

I can't offer much advice about different canoes as my only experience is of Mad River Horizon 15 (a great solo boat and pretty good tandem but probably not suitable for three up even if they are quite light,)

As far as tents are concerned I have a Vango Equinox 350 which I like very much. A bit fiddly to put up until you get the hang of threading poles through sleeves. (all a bit newfangled for oldies like me) It's a comfortable size without being too big.

Look around the internet for a good price though, the main retailers are quite expensive. Gaynors of Ambleside www.gaynors.co.uk have good prices on tents at the moment.
    I've ordered stuff from them and the service was pretty good.

Hope that helps.

Q

Maybe next time I'm out with the Vango I'll get some pictures and do a review if I remember.

Talking of tents, I've just got this one from the States, tons of room and packs awy into a bag that doesn't take a lot of room in the canoe

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Talking of tents, I've just got this one from the States, tons of room and packs awy into a bag that doesn't take a lot of room in the canoe
    What kind is it? What fabric?

How much does it weigh?
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Pierre,
    It's a Cabelas Outback Lodge(8 man) and weighs under 30lbs but there are two smaller versions, reckon I'll think about the smallest, specifically for canoe trips, although, what I've read on this sight about hammocks and nets intreagues me

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Pierre,
    although, what I've read on this sight about hammocks and nets intreagues me
    Ditto. We got one for Wing (hammock) - but I'm still not sure about them. Finding two trees in the right place is not always that easy. I know a couple of the best campsites we saw on the last trip just wouldn't have supported a hammock (best campsite during bug season is open - better wind)
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Scottish canoe Touring

Welcome to the site. I've only just discovered it myself, and it has answered that terrible question - what to do in between trips!!! To research possible trips, from the short tranquil day trip, to the adventurous and challenging week long expeds I would recommend the Scottish Canoe Association's Scottich Canoe Touring. Next to Bill Masons books it is the most useful Ive ever read. To buy the book log onto www.CanoeScotland.com or call 0131 317 7314. I canoe in scotland whenever I can and it cannot be beat without a flight ticket! Good luck.