Thread: Anyone paddled (as opposed to poled) in Poland?

Default Anyone paddled (as opposed to poled) in Poland?

Trying to think of places to go on holiday this year (do like to leave these things to the last minute ) and my eyes keep getting drawn to Poland. There seem to be three Lakeland areas with extensive river systems. So I'm trying to persuade my wife and daughter that Poland would be a good place to go. i'm even thinking that driving wouldn't be out of the question as it is only a hop across Belgium and Germany. But I'm not sure what to expect. Is it going to be masses of white water and big drops? (not really suitable for a gentle paddle) Should we expect vast wilderness and basic camping? (right up my street but my wife likes a few comforts - Don't be too hard at least she paddles ) or can we link up a few journies with hotels and guest houses?
    Any input would be greatly received
    Regards

SuperNova

Default Ilawa

I went to Poland in 2000 & paddled from Ilawa. We camped at Pod Omega, but they also had indoor accomodation. We paddled on lake Jeziorak but another part of the group paddled on one of the rivers (flatwater with a slow current).

The campsites around the lakes are commercial ones and there are probably hotels &c as well, not much wilderness by the shore. I'm not sure what the boat hire situation is like, we used tandem kayaks with almost identical hulls to the canoes we used in the Czech Republic. Terrible to stear, so hopefully they have better designs available now.

On a touristy point of view Gdansk is do-able as a daytrip from there & the old town is nice for a visit.

Thanks Luke - sounds interesting - a may persue this further, I'll keep you posted. I've found a few web sites but some lose a little in translation.
    Regards

SuperNova

I guess you have seen

http://web.slais.ucl.ac.uk/2004/p017/p017agk/index.html

looks like there is plently of choice!

Default Yes i have.

I canoed the Brda and a couple of smaller rivers in the Kasuby region two years ago. Great canoe touring. I put most of what i learned up here. http://www.igreens.org.uk/canoeing_in_the_kaszuby.htm
    take a look.
    jim

Thanks for the suggestions - we didn't make it this year - ended up in Cornwall for a few days with no paddling
    Still I can start planning for next year
    Regards

SuperNova