Thread: Spey Descent

Default Spey Descent

I have just returned from a fantastic week on the River Spey. I had booked myself and my sister in on the Glenmore Lodge Spey Descent, wild camping (well wild for one night, wildish for two...) as we went from Loch Insh to Spey Bay.
    The early part of the week gave us shallow water and rain. The middle of the week - wind. The final day - lots of water and a very swift 30K to the sea!
    This was a magnificent trip. The river is beautiful and changes along its route - it really did gather a pace as it approached the sea.
    Our group of 6, plus Glenmore Lodge instructor (Nancy Brookes) travelled in two/three solos boats and two/three tandems. We were a mixture of complete novices, through to plenty of experience (i count myself in between). We all managed safely, though once or twice we held our breaths!! (but not because we fell out - no capsizes except for the practice/demo one by me!).

We saw hare, deer, oyster catches galore, sandpipers, osprey and otter footprints.

Any one new to canoe journeying this is a great tour forstaters.
    Nancy instructed, coached, guided and inspired enthusiasm and confidence and I suspect has converted more than just a few of us to open boat journeying. If you are not sure how to get going, get going with this...www.glenmorelodge.org.uk

Sounds like a fantastic trip. I keep looking at the Glenmore Lodge trips and wondering about them. Next year maybe, as I think it's going to be the symposium this year.

So many places to paddle, so little time .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Sounds like you had a great time. I have heard a few people praising Nancy and Glenmore Lodge. Might have to see if I can get something arranged some time.
    John