Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi everyone just joined forum. seems a very good web site. I have been paddling open canoes for 20 years. I have three boats. a Hermes 14 which I use for white water. a traveller 16. and a cedar strip canoe which I am in the middle of renovating. I have canoe extensively in the uk. North America and Africa.

My friend Ed Bassett has also joined the web site we paddle together a lot and Ed has taught me many good things about paddling and techniques. although Ed teaches canoeing for a living being his mate means i get it for free.

Crocbait (Bazza)

Default welcome

Hi Barry, told you its good didn't I?

You're being a bit shy though. I think you should tell everyone why you are called crocbait!

See you soon,

Ed

If I can't get there by boat, I don't want to go

Welcome aboard CB. Sounds like you are in the right place.

(PG, desperately putting off painting the house)
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by ed bassett
    You're being a bit shy though. I think you should tell everyone why you are called crocbait!
    Now we really have to know.

Welcome to SOTP.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    (PG, desperately putting off painting the house)
    I believe that if you don't paint the house the lichens, moss and grime build up to act as an eco friendly barrier that protects against the worst weather.

Give up the struggle! go canoeing

Ed
    Last edited by Matto; 30th-June-2006 at 06:12 PM.

Welcome Crocbait. Matto is right we need to know the story behind the name.

And Pierre Ed is right, go canoeing the house will be well protected by grime and lichens
    John

Default Croc attack

Hi John and Matt. The reason I am called crocbait is that last year I went on a trip to Kenya with Ed Bassett and while we were paddling down a river in a Kayak a 18 foot croc attacked the back of my kayak flipped me upside down. I did not know what happened until I was standing up to my waist in water and the other team members told me.

It was my lucky day.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Crocbait
    Hi John and Matt. The reason I am called crocbait is that last year I went on a trip to Kenya with Ed Bassett and while we were paddling down a river in a Kayak a 18 foot croc attacked the back of my kayak flipped me upside down. I did not know what happened until I was standing up to my waist in water and the other team members told me.
    Blimey! I expect he just wanted to see how good your roll was .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

its our own fault for paddling the demon kayaks! The river was the Sabaki in Kenya and it was a first descent. However the population of crocs and hippo's on the river along with long sections of ankle deep water meant that we couldn't complete the descent as planned.

We did a great job of facing the many hazards of Mombasa nightclubs where Crocbait impressed the "ladies" with his account of the incident.

We finished off by kayaking along the coast and exploring several of the tidal creeks.

Ed

Crocs are discerning animals. You would have been fine in a proper canoe

John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    Crocs are discerning animals. You would have been fine in a proper canoe

No hard and fast rule, but I'm a little leary of paddling in water that holds things that want to eat me.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

The Huddersfield canals are the place to paddle, no Crocs there, just the occassional Sainsburys trolley eager to grab your paddle.
    Leone_blanco

I got attacked by a shopping trolley below broken weir on the Exe near Tiverton. It was a close thing but I managed to wrestle my way to freedom and safety!

Ed

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I got attacked by a shopping trolley below broken weir on the Exe near Tiverton. It was a close thing but I managed to wrestle my way to freedom and safety!

Ed
    Count yourself lucky if that's the only thing you've been attacked by in Tiverton.

hey dude, welcome

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork
    Count yourself lucky if that's the only thing you've been attacked by in Tiverton.
    I did get bitten by a dog in South Molton once and the policeman that let him loose didn't even apologise!!!!

[If I can't get there by canoe I don't want to go]
    Last edited by Matto; 9th-July-2006 at 10:24 PM.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I did get bitten by a dog in South Molton once and the policeman that let him loose didn't even apologise!!!!

[If I can't get there by canoe I don't want to go]
    Ha ha - yeah, that sounds about right.

I used to live in South Molton and work in Tivvy! Doya fancy getting together for a paddle in the whitewater season? Me and some buddies usually come down for a long weekend in the new year.

I have a mate who lives in Tivvy, and we've had a fair few, err, interesting evenings out in town (apparently we have anyway, it's all a bit hazy now).
    I think I'd prefer S Molton to Tivvy for living in tho', as it's always seemed that bit quieter, nicely out of the way too ...

Anyway back on topic, a winter trip up sounds good - were you thinking about the Exe - that seems to be a well run river in winter. I've been wondering about the Barle too, but that's a bit further up I guess.

Have you paddled in the Taw or Torridge at any stage ?

South Molton is a lot quieter since I left and the landlord of the Kings Arms retired. We had many a good night which usually ended on the town square with a concrete filled football and several tinnies!!

The Barle is one of my favourite paddles! The weir below Dulverton is a real hoot.

Paddled Taw and Torridge a few times, but not since 1996.

I'm happy to paddle any of the SW rivers (or any river at all).

Lets see whats running well at the time

Ed

Smile Cedar strip

HI from sunny Ireland
    What sort of epoxy / Fiberglass are you using for the cedar strip?
    Is it a clear finish?
    Kate.

Hiya, hows things in sunny Ireland?

for our cedar strip boat we are using epoxy resin from a local chandler. For the fibreglass we are using 6oz cloth inside and out.

The epoxy is clear and the wood will show through beautifully providing that you use the correct hardener and finish with an ultraviolet resistant varnish.

Your supplier should be able to advise you, especially if you get your kit from a chandler. I also spoke to a yacht builder before buying anything and he was really helpful.

Whats the paddling like over there? Do you pop across the border much?

Ed (if I can't get there in a canoe I don't want to go).

Question

Hopefully Ed and myself will finish revamping my wooden canoe this summer we can then meet you in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Crocbait

Quote Originally Posted by Crocbait
    Hopefully Ed and myself will finish revamping my wooden canoe this summer we can then meet you in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Crocbait
    Love all trust few always paddle your own canoe