Thread: Baker Lake

Journal Entries

Default Baker Lake

While working yesterday, I ran into a group of canoers parked next to Lake superior with five 17 foot Oldtowns and two Nova Craft 18 footers on a trailer. The group was gathered around a huge kettle and one of them was dishing out some kind of rubaboo.

I spoke with the guide, a cute young thing, for a bit. They are from a YMCA camp, up on the Gunflint. They'd been down to the St. Louis River to practise white water on the seven steps.

They are heading for a 40 day trip to Baker Lake/Nunuvut area (artic). They will be carrying all their food with them. Sounds like a great trip. I was very envious.

See Maps:

http://ca.epodunk.com/profiles/nunav...e/2000135.html

http://www.nunavutparks.com/visitors...centre_map.cfm
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

That looks like a lot of open water, in an even more vast bit of land.
    I guess it's a mixture of lakes and rivers tho'.

What kind of conditions will they find on a trip like that Pierre ?

I really have no way of imagining what that would be like ... here I only take food for the afternoon, and if you run out you can always stop off on route, or at worst, get something on the way home to last you for the short trip back to your own house.

Journal Entries

Much of it will be arctic tundra. Food for a long haul is very basic, rice, jerk, beans, flour, salt, etc.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Thanks, I can see why you'd carry stuff that can look after itself pretty much on a trip like that one. Sounds like a great thing to be doing ...

Default Baker Lake

The Thelon runs into Baker Lake and it is a stunning 900km 40 day trip through a varied landscape. It is a genuine wilderness trip!

The Thelon has its headwaters in Lynx Lake which is accessible by float plane from Yellowknife. It is right on the edge of the tree line and the lake gets very windswept on a regular basis. The river has many unmarked rapids, some of which were a definite portage when I was there in 1999. Generally the river is very rocky and the portage over Thelon Canyon is a killer!

Wildlife is abundant with Caribou (especially in July), muskoxen, wolves and grizzlies being sighted. I didn't see a grizzly myself but one of the group swears he saw one on the bank on the inside of a bend. Plenty of wolves though.

Swans and Canada geese as well as golden eagles are frequently sighted in the skies and the fishing is awsome.

There are also several old inuit and Chipewyan hunting camps along the river.

Camping is a real joy with many suitable sites, but once you leave the trees behind and enter the barrenlands you will need stoves and fuel for cooking.

Look out for the 60ft waterfalls before you get to Jim Lake!!!!!!

Beverley Lake, Aberdeen Lake and Schulz Lake can be a real pain. The wind is merciless and it is really possible to be windbound for several days!

Once you get to the Inuit community of Baker Lake you can get a scheduled plane back to Yellowknife.

If anyone wants details of outfitters or airlines in Yellowknife I will be happy to provide them.

This is a once in a lifetime trip that will blow your mind.

Ed