Thread: Peak District Meet 28-30 July 2006

Default Peak District Meet 28-30 July 2006

Hi Folks,

Proposal of a meet in the Peak area of England.

My suggestions for the weekend are:

Saturday- (North Peak/Stockport) River Goyt, all day trip with opt-outs Semi-urban/rural river (salmon returned here this last season so it can't be that bad), possibility of tracking lining and poling/snubbing.

Sunday- (Matlock) River Derwent, possibility of an up river only, or up and down, or just a down river trip.

No problem for beginners, I/we are used to dealing with different abilities.

Campsite suggestion, Square and Compass at Darley Bridge Nr Matlock. 200m from the river start on Sunday but will mean a drive on the Saturday.

If anyone wants flat water (sail or practice rescues) or canal I could arrange this. Any other suggestions put them forward

Wet paddles,

Paul Booker
    Last edited by Paul Booker; 26th-June-2006 at 07:30 PM.

I'd be interested, but the dates clash with the bushmoot unfortunately.

Hi Paul
    The weekend is good for me, I will go with whatever the majority want to do as long as it is moving water. Depending on Location I would probably travel on Saturday morning and camp Saturday night.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Hi Paul this sounds great, although I am down for shift for these dates, will try and swap some holidays.Am dying to get out with a group on some local water. will be in touch soon with a definate.
    Leone_blanco

Paul count me in for deffo and i will post something up in work to get the edaleites out and boating!!!

Laters
    Lewis

Hi Paul, Have re-aranged holidays at work so will be coming along.
    Leone_blanco

Default Hi Paul

I am picking up a new boat that weekend from Brookbank (if all goes to plan - smilie with crossed fingers) - would love to meet up on Saturday night and try it out on Sunday - if that is OK. That gives me saturday to fit some basic bouyancy etc.

I have been off for a couple of months so have not paddled since March - but should not be too rusty. I have been canoeing for over a year, and my club do mainly moving water - they are mainly Kayakers -I would love to do some more paddling with other open boaters - my last time was at the English canoe Symposium last year.

Let me know if you think this would be OK

Rob (Seadog)

No problem Seadog, more the merrier.

If its Paul your dealing with then he will have most likely picked this up.
    Depending on numbers, the Saturday paddle may finish very close to Brookbanks premises.

We will see what folks want to do regarding campsites, as there are better campsites with better pubs that serve better food and beer than my original suggestion, we will see what pans out.

PB

Hi,

I will not be making any replies for a week or two as I am working away. It is still on if anyone else wants to join us.

PB

Default Hi Paul

I am out the country for the next two weeks - so may not be on line - will log on when I get back to check what campsite to RV at. This will probably be thursday 27th... I am definite for the Saturday night.
    Thanks for organising this.
    (Rob) Seadog

I would love to come but i'm away to a friends wedding that weekend and he's the bloke who taught me to paddle canoe so I have a commitment their!

have fun folks, look forward to paddling with you soon!

Hi there guys.....

Derwent News

Just had an email from Jenny Harding saying that there is a tree down just before town bridge in Matlock...

She said that it is massive and blocks the whole river and could cause a serious problem.....

It is chainsawable but thats about all that will do it.... I was going to go and check it out this weekend but have found myself heading to the treweryn instead! haha

Will let you know when i recieve any more news on the subject!

Laters
    lewis

Hi'

It looks like the following,

Dave B,
    LAS247,
    Big Lewie, (& crew, possibly)
    Sea Dog (Saturday night onwards)
    and me (and possibly some locals).

Lewie are you intending staying on Saturday night or going home?

I suggest we meet up at the car park GR SJ96443 89466 of the entrance at Brabyns Park, Marple near Stockport at 10:00Hrs. We can paddle all the way to Stockport and make a visit to Brookbank if anyone wants to.

Any other takers it's not too late.

Wet padles.

Paul.

Hiya Paul.....

I have just found out today that its my sisters birthday party that sunday and i need to be in South Wales so am having to head down there but will be finding my way to the river wye!!!

I will print off this thread tom and throw it up in work and see who wants to go from there..... will tell them to get in touch by friday if they are coming!!!

Sorry if this messes you about Paul....

laters
    Lewis

Well guys its going to be a poling trip on Saturday as there is only a dribble of water in the Goyt, definitely not enough room for a paddle.
    Sunday should be ok but we will see.

Rain dance please tonight!!!!

Paul.