Thread: Central Scotland - 1st and/or 2nd July

Default Central Scotland - 1st and/or 2nd July

Hi all,

Anyone up for a paddle next weekend? Totally flexible about what and where, so if there's a trip you've been itching to do, and would like some company.......

Blutack.
    Last edited by Blutack; 22nd-June-2006 at 07:06 PM.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Might be up for a day paddle one day but not sure which yet. Quite fancy Loch Ard as I have not paddled it before but as I am not sure of my availability I am happy to just go along with others plans if I am available.
    John

Not sure of my availability either but if you go ahead I will turn up if free.

Loch Ard sounds good to me too. Fairly central. apparently interesting and scenic, and not 'done' recently.

Oh If only I lived in Scotland,all that water.

My calendar's empty for next weekend...

Haven't checked the river levels, but the Add was in spate wednesday this week, think the east was a lot drier though. Anyone got local knowledge?

Have you been to the Tay recently 10-Boats?

An overnight trip would be good - how far do people fancy going?

Things on my list at the moment are Loch Morar, Loch Quoich & Loch Hourn - if the weather was settled. Loch Sheil's on there as well, but there are tentative plans to get there next month, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'd also be up for a repeat of my Rannoch Moor crossing, with a shared shuttle!

Rhod

Hi Rhod,

The river level gauge at Stanley was reading 0 last sunday, but it still had plenty water to run. Other rivers on the east have been pretty dry/ empty the last couple of weeks but it has rained a lot in the last couple of days, that said they still look pretty empty.

We're off on holiday next weekend for two weeks, so probably won't be able to make a meet unless it's on our planned route, don't know where we're going yet ( loch shiel, inverpolly area are possibilities as is rannoch moor or glen affric, ok haven't a clue ) say hi if you see a wenonah canoe loaded up camping gear 2 adults and 2 kids.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Quote Originally Posted by rhod
    Have you been to the Tay recently 10-Boats?

An overnight trip would be good - how far do people fancy going?

Things on my list at the moment are Loch Morar, Loch Quoich & Loch Hourn - if the weather was settled. Loch Sheil's on there as well, but there are tentative plans to get there next month, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'd also be up for a repeat of my Rannoch Moor crossing, with a shared shuttle!

Rhod
    Haven't been on the Tay of late, just Tummel and Lyon, both polable but hardly worth a paddle. If you do Sheil don't forget your pole for the side show of L Doine (?sp).

Its been a week and 2 days since I paddled and it feels like months away. I've been biking instead, but broke my headset today on a boulder field descent in the Ochils. Working on the sea Ka tomorrow, but thinking of poling the Teith one evening next week.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

I've just realised these dates are the start of my 2 week rock climbing jaunt.............should be heading South then, but maybe I could twist an arm or two and get a paddle in before we go. Watch this space.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

We're both ok for a paddle on the 2nd , can't make the 1st though. Will have to be a loch trip for us as the mutineer will be onboard

Rhod
    We should be heading to Loch Quoich for an overnight trip in the second half of July to paddle over to Sgurr Mor . If you are Interested let us know

Alan

Thumbs up

Hi Again,

It looks as if we have 2 categories of response - 1) 'day paddle on Loch Ard or similar', and 2) Overnights and wild places! However, since it's just myself and Rhod so far who could do an overnighter, it seems a shame to do this and exclude everyone else. (Mind you, your 'wish list' is the same as mine Rhod - so maybe we should meet up!)

Tricky to suit everyone here, but I suggest we meet up at Loch Ard for a day paddle on Sunday (to allow A&M to come).

Loch Ard doesn't give much scope for an overnighter, but if Rhod or anyone else wants to, we could do a day paddle elsewhere in the Trossachs on Saturday, camp overnight and then meet the others on Sunday? Two separate trips might also suit the likes of Tenboats better (I'm guessing Sat is better than Sun for you Tony?).

How does that sound? - comments / changes / corrections glady received!

David.

P.S. My canoe is at Loch Lomond at the moment. No problem to collect it, but it would save hassle if anyone needs a tandem partner.... (hint).....
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

Default Sunday

Sunday at Loch Ard suits Alan and myself but if there is somewhere else on your wish list let us know.
    Maggie & Alan
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Was sorting out committed time over the weekend & realised that I'm supposed to be on the Aonach Eagach on the 2nd - depends on weather though, since I'd rather be paddling if it's wet. Would still be up for the something in the Trossachs on the 1st though, pending any other developments.

Alan - I'm possibly tied up for the last 2 weekends in July, although weekdays would be ok, so let me know which dates you're thinking of for Loch Quoich.
    Rhod

Still not 100% sure of my timetable but my hope is to spend Sat at the Game Fair at Scone, then Sunday at Loch Ard. I would offer you the chance to tandem, David, but suspect I may have my daughters with me to make the trip a possibility.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rhod
    Have you been to the Tay recently...
    I was there on Sunday, it was at a pretty good level for open boating, bouncy and fun, though that's just a guess as I was coaching so had gone back to The Dark Side for the day. Will be dropping now, but probably still at a good level.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Default Loch Ard - The Plan!

Hi again,

OK, how's this for a plan? I'm sure it won't suit everybody, but hopefully the majority?

Let's meet up in Kinlochard at 11:00am on Sunday. Parking is available for a donation at the Village Hall in Kinlochard. This is the easiest access I know of with parking for more than two cars at a time (though do correct me if I'm wrong!).

No fixed plans after that, so let's just go for a pootle. (bring packed lunch!) I know the loch quite well, but only from the shore, so I need someone to introduce me to all these secret lochs and crannogs etc!

Now this is confirmed, it would be really useful if folks could reply so we know roughly how many are coming, and who to wait for(!).

Look forward to seeing you there!

David.

P.S. Rhod etc, this means I'm still free for a paddle on Saturday somewhere fairly central. Reply or PM if you're interested!

Last edited by Blutack; 27th-June-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Put me down as a definite maybe
    John

Sunday I can make, see you there.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Default Loch Ard

Hi Blutack,
    Alan & Myself will definately be there. We have paddled here before so you have your guide to the crannog as to the secret loch well its still a secret.

Grooveski - if you want to borrow the harrier paddle Sunday .Will bring the pole as well.

Maggie
    Maggie.

A still interested in paddling somewhere on Sat. Will have about a 1.5hr drive to Loch Lomond (Balloch), so wouldn't want to be more than half an hour or so to the east of that ideally. Open to any suggestions. Teith is a possibility if enough water in it. I assume that Loch Awe is a bit too far for you Blutack?

Rhod

Hi Rhod, Still not sure what I'm doing on Saturday, but I have the possibility of a morning paddle on Loch Lomond with a friend. This would probably be from near Balmaha, (a long way for you to travel, I know, but it would be just on your 1/2 hour from Balloch limit!).

Since we're getting close to the weekend, I'll PM you my details so maybe we can talk on Thursday evening as I should know more of what I'm doing by then!

Another option might be to put in on the Endrick at Drymen bridge, and paddle downstream to Balmaha. Would that be of interest?

Cheers,

Blutack.

Default Also, same day, Introduction to white water on the Tay

See post Introduction to white water on the Tay by Prospector. He is offering some grade 1-2 coaching for up to 5 boats for saturday & sunday.

Philip

I've only got a couple of hours, so won't be able to go to Prospectors coaching, but will try and pop in to Loch ard. Will have to leave early. I'll have my faithful bow paddler, Ross, on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineering Maggie
    Grooveski - if you want to borrow the harrier paddle Sunday .Will bring the pole as well.
    Cheers. I picked up a 60" carlisle beavertail that's pretty close in size. Tiso had whopped a tenner off it because of a couple of trivial scratches, handy.
    If I don't get on with it I may trace round your harrier and whittle this down so a wee loan just to compare would be great.

The pack's probably wondering why it's sitting in the middle of the floor. I'll give it a minute to relax before I sneak up on it with the drill. Poor wee thing .

Red face No not the drill !!

Quote Originally Posted by Grooveski
    Cheers. I picked up a 60" carlisle beavertail that's pretty close in size. Tiso had whopped a tenner off it because of a couple of trivial scratches, handy.
    If I don't get on with it I may trace round your harrier and whittle this down so a wee loan just to compare would be great.

The pack's probably wondering why it's sitting in the middle of the floor. I'll give it a minute to relax before I sneak up on it with the drill. Poor wee thing .
    Hi Grooveski,
    Loan no problem. I take it you have got the air bags hence the drill "ca canny now."

Maggie
    Maggie.

Default 2 trips arranged - take your pick! :-)

Ok,

I Have just arranged to meet up with Rhod at Aldochlay on Loch Lomond, at 10:30 on Saturday.

The fun then continues on Sunday, meeting at 11:00 at Kinlochard Village Hall for a paddle on Loch Ard.

Naturally all are welcome!

A word of warning though - if Rhod works me too hard on Saturday, I may have to request a tow from someone for the Loch Ard trip. I'm not used to this much exertion on a weekend! .

Blutack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineering Maggie
    No not the drill !!
    Just end loops tonight, and figured that if anyone could do with swim lines....

Still not decided on airbags, whether to go mental or just get short end ones so I can use barrels. The barrels just fit so well, are pretty handy and they reinforce the hull a fair bit.

Hummin' n hawin'.

Just about to leave for this. Looks like we will be getting great weather.
    John

Thunder, lightning and torrential rain in Crieff at 1pm. How was it on Loch Ard?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Thunder, lightning and torrential rain in Crieff at 1pm. How was it on Loch Ard?
    You'll just need to wait and read the Bloggs I can tell you we did not come back to the cars till about 5.30pm so a full day of paddling was had.
    John

I take it that it rained a bit, then?