Thread: Hammocks and Tarps for two

Default Hammocks and Tarps for two

So far I've always used tents but am thinking of trying the tarp and hammock approach ( I already have two of the group buy hammocks). Other than sharing a hammock - which seem a bit small for this, what is the best way of setting up tarp & hammocks for two? I would prefer not to have to set up two completely independent hammocks & tarps if possible.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Journal Entries

Interesting question. As far as I know you really have to do two set ups but I will be interested to hear others thoughts. Certainly setting up the hammock should be quick so doing two is not a problem but the tarp may take longer.

Theoretically the group buy hammocks are sized by two but I am not convinced.

Default Bunk beds?

How about one on top of the other like bunkbeds?

Only kidding, but I would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al.
    How about one on top of the other like bunkbeds?

Only kidding, but I would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas.
    Actually that might be about the most sensible solution.

Default Bunkbeds

Setting them up like bunkbeds was my first idea but it seemed a bit impractical in terms of headroom and getting a tarp long enough to cover the bottom 'bunk'. I guess I haven't got a tarp but could experiment with bunks or tandem hammock setups to see if either work. I would like to have an idea on this before ordering tarp(s).
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Vampire Duck and I will play about with our hammocks and a tarp this weekend to see what we can come up with.

How soon will you be ordering the the tarps MK ?
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al.
    How soon will you be ordering the the tarps MK ?
    The tarp buy will be open for a while. The 3x3m ones are available pretty much from stock but the other sizes may take a week or two.

Default Hammocks for two

best way is to use three trees and set your hammocks up in a v formation. up to you whether you have head or feet together- guess it depends on who the other person is

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

In this case I think 'as close as possible' would be the prefered arrangements
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

How about setting both hammocks from the same trees, then cutting 2 poles with with a notch in each end. These can then be used to hold the head and foot of each hammock apart.by slotting them into the ropes/tapes attached to the hammocks. The lenght of the pole would be dependant on how far apart you want the hammocks. Then rig one ridge line and tarp to cover both hammocks.

Hope that makes sense
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

In the late 18th century Royal Navy regulations allocated each seaman a 14" wide space to sling his hammock - of course at sea this was not quite so bad as nearly half the men would be on watch at any one time... all that and sleep for a whole 4 hours at a stretch... the crews would be 200 or more... at sea in heavy weather with the ports shut it must have been rank down on the main gun deck!

a bit off topic but it does give a lenth for the spacing sticks!

Seadog

Following on from Divid's post
    . If you can find two really big trees, 24" diameter, fasten one hammock from one side and the other from the other side. 24" gap between. Hang ridgerope from middle of tree. Difficult to explain, but I know what I mean. Hope you do.
    Ian.

Default The perfect location

This weekend I though we had found the perfect location for tandem hammocks, the trees were old coppiced birch that had grown sufficiently to support hammocks but had nice clusters of trunks so that it was easy to set up the two hammocks in parallel from two pairs of trees a metre or so apart.

This worked perfectly, until we put in thermarests for the night which increased the width ...

Thanks for the idea about the sticks to keep the hammocks apart - that sounds like a brilliant solution.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    How about setting both hammocks from the same trees, then cutting 2 poles with with a notch in each end.
    We tried playing about with different ideas at the weekend too although we didn't sleep in them.

The only problem I can forsee with the notched pole would be that you are both linked together so any movement by one person would be felt by the other.

Probably only a problem if you have a young twitchy Vampire Duck in the next hammock
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb