Thread: My 1st attempt

Default My 1st attempt

I've decided to waste my spare time this summer working on an 18' Chestnut Prospector. I've alway wanted to redo an old Nut so I took the plunge and decide to work on this one.

I took this one on just to learn how to canvas a canoe and make some minor repairs. It is too big for my preference so when i'm done with it, it will be available for the material cost I have into it.

Jamie

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563107688KDFPUN
    Last edited by KeithD; 4th-July-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: make photo a bit bigger

The Naughty Boy says ....wow!
    A thing of great character.
    TNB is interested to see how it goes.
    Live Like You Mean It

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post

I took this one on just to learn how to canvas a canoe
    Looks like a beautiful piece off wood-art. Did you ever consider covering it in clear glass and epoxy like many off the modern wood-builds (like my Evergreen Vomo)?

A Legend, a canoe that spawned 1000's of copies.
    Hope you will post pictures of the finished boat!!!!
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Looks like a beautiful piece off wood-art. Did you ever consider covering it in clear glass and epoxy like many off the modern wood-builds (like my Evergreen Vomo)?
    I'm not a fan of taking a classic canvas canoe and ruining it with fibreglass.
    Many people do it (and yes it looks nice... for a couple of years) but those who know better would never glass a canoe.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    A Legend, a canoe that spawned 1000's of copies.
    Hope you will post pictures of the finished boat!!!!
    I just bought it so I could try canvasing a canoe... the problem I have is my lack of wood working skill. The work I have done will meet its purpose as this project is meant to get this canoe floating again. It is not buy any means meant to restore it to its original beauty.

Jamie

A fine looking project there, Old canoes of that caliber are very thin on the ground over here.
    Looking foward to seeing some shots of the finished article

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    A fine looking project there, Old canoes of that caliber are very thin on the ground over here.
    Looking foward to seeing some shots of the finished article

Here's one of better caliber.

It's for sale but might be a bit tough to transport due to it's size.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563414189LIvXeD

Jamie
    Last edited by KeithD; 4th-July-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: make photo a bit bigger

Many people do it (and yes it looks nice... for a couple of years) but those who know better would never glass a canoe.

Jamie
    I never claimed to be an expert, I am just one off those who think it looks nice.

But, what is the problem with it, I don't think i've read something about problems with this stuff jet? I actually saw one 30 jears old looking like new.

The issue of glassing a canvas canoe are mostly preference of the owner. Those in favor of canvas will say it allows the cedar to flex properly others will say the fiberglass is tougher....none of it matters too me. I just like the traditional aspect of the canvas.

I think it's a pretty safe bet though to say that those talented enough to restore these old canoe properly will normally replace canvas with canvas.
    Around here, canoes are quite often glassed if they are going to be used hard in shallow, rocky rivers.

Default finished project Chestnut

I've finished up my 1st attempt at redoing an old canoe. It was a lot of work but a great way to learn. You can read all the books you want but nothing beats hands on experience.

I made a few mistakes, took a short cut or two in my woodwork but things seemed to work out okay. Now that I have figured out what not to do, I can find another to work on and hopefully do a better job.

Jamie
    Last edited by KeithD; 4th-July-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: made the photo a bit bigger

Journal Entries

Jamie
    My great uncle has a 1942 chestnut ruined with Fiberglas. Once the water soaks through between the wood and the Fiberglas it is game over. I have seen quite a few lost that way.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 5th-July-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Savanna, Illinois USA-on the banks of the Mississippi River

Jamie

Fine business, very pleasing to the eye.

Regards,
    Mike