Thread: Helford River

Default Helford River

OK, I've been thinking when it would be best to post this question, but I'm feeling bored so...

We are holidaying in Cornwall later in the summer, and are staying in a converted boat house on Port Navas Creek, off The Helford River. The Helford River has a number of creeks coming off it (including Frenchman's Creek - immortalised by Daphne Dumaurier - not sure that's a very good claim to fame but hey...)

Any one know anything about The Helford River and its creeks? The creeks looks like nice peaceful paddling, but the Helford River looks pretty open.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

I've been there a couple of times but only when I was a member of the dark (or at least dark grey) side. It's really open if you get onto the Carrick Roads and would be ideal for a spot of canoe sailing if you have the kit, I was just bimbling around in a sailing dinghy at the time.

The creeks and the Helford river itself are beautiful, quiet and didn't seem at all exposed, however it was rapidly too shallow for the dinghy and I didn't make it far upstream.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gwing
    The creeks and the Helford river itself are beautiful, quiet and didn't seem at all exposed, however it was rapidly too shallow for the dinghy and I didn't make it far upstream.
    Hmmm. Sounds like time to get a pole maybe . At least I'll be in the big boat this time. Thanks for the info.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Default Re: Helford

Hi matto, I was down there a couple of weeks ago, but alas not in a canoe. It certainly is a beautiful location. The only advice I can give is that the tides are crucial for access, so get yourself a tide table, or print out the weeks tide using easytide for example. Invest a bit of time checking out possible access points, especially those that are too muddy as the tide goes out. Remember this is mud, a pole will not do you much good, except as an anchor! Plan your trips to go upriver with the rising tide, and down with the falling tide, and dont be too ambitious to start with. If the weather is right, you could also try explore some of the coastline esp on the east side of the Lizard (more sheltered). Some of the beaches have good access. Have Fun, I envy you!

Remember this is mud, a pole will not do you much good, except as an anchor.
    I now have a vision of myself clinging to a sinking pole whilst the canoe goes gliding gently onward.

Thanks for the info though.
    Matto

By the way Matto, I would love to know how you get on down there, because we thought it would be a great place to stay and explore by canoe. The houseboat sounds fun, is this a holiday let?

We just stayed a couple of nights near Porth Nevas at a pub called Trengilly Wartha, nice place for a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    We are holidaying in Cornwall later in the summer, and are staying in a converted boat house on Port Navas Creek, off The Helford River.
    Hi Matto,

Do you have the details of the boat? Is it a holiday let? Might be interested in staying there.

Cheers.

Don't like to dissappoint you guys, but it's not a houseboat, rather a boat-house, i.e. a house you keep a boat in.

Here is a link in case you're still interested. Cheap it ain't, but I've found that well sited holiday cottages are seldom cheap, but usually worth the extra.

http://www.helpfulholidays.com/prope...S416&year=2006
    Matto

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thompson
    Remember this is mud, a pole will not do you much good, except as an anchor! !
    We go wild ricing every year, and use a 14 foot pole with a duck bill on the end. This can also be achieved with a tree branch crotch, or fork, on the end of your pole.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/ricelake/..._wild_rice.htm

from the DNR wild ricing site:

"
    Most ricers use a push pole. To make one, cut a standing dead spruce, 15 feet or longer, and shave it very smooth. To keep it from sinking into the mud, you can add the standard tip: an aluminum "duckbill" available in sporting goods stores. Avoid a rigid T-shaped foot, which pulls up the rice. Better yet, use the old ways: Set into your pole a fork (12 inches or less) from a hardwood tree."
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water