Thread: Ok...so what DO you wear....

Default Ok...so what DO you wear....

.......when paddling on a trip (apart from a life presever, of course!)?

Neoprene? Canoe top? Dry suit

T-shirt and shorts?

Thinking about what else I might need?!!?

Top 5 items of kit?

Advice welcome!

Phil

low key paddling when I'm not likely to get wet, or the consequences of a dip are not serious, I wear Paramo kit.

Rivers and big openwater, dry suit every time.

Wetsuit is a lower cost alternative and good for protection on rivers.

In most paddling situations a dry suit gives you more safety than a PFD, assuming you do not part company with your canoe. (in my humbled opinion!)
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

On lakes and slow moving rivers where I'm not likely to go for a swim I wear normal outdoor clothes. Combats, thermal T-shirt etc. For whitewater and fast rivers and winter cag and dry trousers.

I wear neoprene boots at all times because they're comfortable and not a tough on your ankles when your kneeling.

Journal Entries

Not sure if this is of any use in the UK climate but it is what we do over here.

http://adventureswithlloyd.batcave.n...m.htm#Clothing
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Journal Entries

Summer:

I wear a T-shirt, jeans or shorts, tennis shoes or moggasins, or barefoot. In rain or cool weather, I wear a wool shirt and possibly the rain jacket (I have one that is breathable), bandanna, and brimmed hat. The last trip we took, Wing talked me into wearing some kind of wet water shoes. They seem to work well, much like moggasins - except the mosquitos bite through the thin parts.

Fall and spring - SAA augmented with a wool shirt, wool tuque, wool socks, and possibly wool pants if it looks like it will be cold. I bring wool gloves, but seldom wear them.

Winter (our river is open year round):

Wool pants, wool longjohns, iceman boots, cold weather mitts, wool tuque, wool shirt, wool overshirt, and canvas anorek. Capsizing at these temps can be fatal, so I always make sure to have a firestarting kit, in a waterproof pouch, on my person, and a waterproof bag with extra dry clothing.

The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

T shirt, shorts, sandals and straw hat the last couple of trips
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gwing
    Not much chance of that this weekend.....it was either cold and miserable or midge hell. Wouldn't fancy shorts in a midge storm...very nasty.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

I generally wear lightweight quick drying outdoor clothing, layered to suit the conditions. Footwear is either Muck Boots or sandals if it is really hot.

Ill generally wear paramo, if theres a likelihood of spending much time in the water i sometimes wear a shorty wetsuit underneath.

I think you have to judge not just the weather, but the local climate. Interesting how many folk north of the border are going for fairly major clothing at this time of year. Down here in the SE it's been about 30C both the last two weekends, and it's been all I could do to keep my PFD on. Definitely shorts and shirt only weather. Forget about cooling effects of cotton in these conditions. Last weekend I was with a group and one swam in cotton clothes. He didn't care. Just dried out gently over the next few hours. Most likely he was cooler than the rest of us who were gently simmering in our still dry clothes. Also weather doesn't change very fast down here, so you don't have to be quite so ready for anything.

That said I'm seriously considering a Dry Suit for winter paddling. Expensive but I like the idea of feeling safer in seriously cold water.

I saw someone fitting just that description last week between Yalding and Sluice lock, along with partner, dog and picnic basket. Any resemblance? I was with a group, doing some long overdue training.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

It is funny you should mention the differences. I met Happy Bunny last Monday as they were on Holiday at Loch Lomond. I was wearing a "T" short, shorts and sandals and they were wearing waterproofs wellies and hats. Just goes to show us Scots are a hardy lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    I saw someone fitting just that description last week between Yalding and Sluice lock, along with partner, dog and picnic basket. Any resemblance? I was with a group, doing some long overdue training.
    Spot on Matto. I didn't quite mention the picnic basket as that seemed a bit too far out of context in the discussion about PFDs and waterproof clothing! Were you with the group standing up on gunnels and generally seeming to have a good time?
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    Just goes to show us Scots are a hardy lot.
    Here in Canada you can always tell who the people of Scottish decent are as there is always one walking around somewhere wearing a polar fleece and a pair of cargo shorts and hikers in November and December. I have been guilty of this look too but cannot wear shorts and such in the summer. I burn way too bad. The SPF 50 sunscreen works on me for about 15 minutes then I go from snow white to lobster red. I reserve shorts for after dark and a few weeks in the fall. My granddad from Glasgow is about the same but he has built up a bit more of an immunity to the sun than me over the years. Probably from drinking peaty Scotch for 60 years slowly turning himself darker.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Spot on Matto. I didn't quite mention the picnic basket as that seemed a bit too far out of context in the discussion about PFDs and waterproof clothing! Were you with the group standing up on gunnels and generally seeming to have a good time?
    Yes, I was probably the one who looked as though he was about to fall in. My 30" wide solo boat really doesn't seem ideal for standing. You looked the very picture of summer I must say. Made me feel like I was dressed for winter! Nice to put a face to a name though . (Apologies every one, I have definitely gone off thread here).

Quote Originally Posted by Magikelly
    Just goes to show us Scots are a hardy lot.
    I never doubed it for a second John. Honestly .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.