Thread: Alaska Experiment

Journal Entries

Default Alaska Experiment

Alaska Experiment, a "reality" show on Discovery channel.

While shows of this nature don't usually interest me, this one does, maybe because of some tweaks to the premise, perhaps because I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

Four groups are involved. They each have to journey from two to ten miles, carrying a fair size pack and using map and compass, to their shelter in late summer where they will have to spend three months:

#1. A married couple from Southern California, she is in great shape, an "adventure racer," and very supportive of her out of shape husband, a concrete contractor. In the first segment, they have to climb the morass of a glacier ten miles to get to their cabin.

#2. Two guys and a girl, friends (forget where they're from), the guys in some form of computer work, and the girl in real estate. They all appear to be fit, but quite ignorant of wilderness - to the point of getting lost within the first three hours and walking in a large circle. It takes them two days to go three miles - also choosing to walk across the last mile of muskeg swamp rather than take a longer route on higher ground.

#3. An out of shape father in his 50s from Kansas, a retired assembly line worker, with two adult daughters, one soon to be married, and the other in college, both out of shape. The dynamics in this family don't look good. They have the easiest trek to their cabin, down a long sandy beach yet one daughter barely makes it. The daughters spend part of the first day at the cabin consuming vital food while the father is out fishing. Later, they have a huge row over how boots should be stored, showing pettiness on the part of the daughters and the father.

#4. A guy and a girl, not married, but obviously well known to each other. He is a geologist and she is s waste water engineer. Both appear to be fit and have good attitudes. They have to kayak through ice pack to reach their shelter, a large wall tent. They are the only ones to get fish within the first show segment, and are also the only ones to have a grizzly bear encounter, though all groups see scat and tracks.

Each of the parties has a shelter, three cabins and the wall tent. There are a variety of stoves - one much better than the others. Each group has a marginal store of food, high in carbs and low in protein - and they will be expected to supplement their diet by fishing and hunting. Their shelter also has some basic tools, shovel, axe, saw, rifle, fishing rods.

I'm interested to see how this works out. This area has one of the highest concentrations of grizzly bears in the world. Off screen, all parties have a camera man and "survival expert," though where the camera man and "survival expert" are staying is not specified. They surely aren't staying in the cabins or tent, as they are all about 200 square feet. The roll of the "survival expert" is not delineated, so it is unknown how much (if any) advice is given them. Hopefully, he is armed with a shotgun against bear attacks.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out. The second segment is on in a week and it refers to "three" groups. A big part of this will be (I'm sure) mental attitude. Having done some solitary trips (in the distant past), I know it used to take me at least two weeks to toughen up my muscles to the trail and get out of my civilized mode and quit wishing for TV, outside stimulation, and conveniences.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 23rd-April-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

It all sounds interesting stuff. let us have the updates, as they come.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

And thou shalt have a paddle De 23:13

Looking at the website, this looks to be far superior to the usual sensationalist reality TV junk.

Not seen the programme obviously, but I reckon #4 will do best - the lassie has 75 days experience living outdoors in the outback, and the photo of the chap shows him wearing very well-used outdoor clothes. That's always a good sign.

Default over here

Anyone know if this will be shown over here.

Hi Pierre,Do you have an update for us yet as to how the contestants are getting on?Best wishes,Mike.

Journal Entries

Watched the second segment. All four groups are still around. Not sure if I misread "three," or what.

Group #1, Man and wife from California, Pierson: He climbs up the mountain with the show's originator and, after an abortive first try - due to weather - shoots a mountain goat. Goat drops 1000 feet after shot. Really bad climbing conditions, for no equipment and carrying rifle - with a lot of loose scree. She comes with part way for the second try and catches several salmon while she waits. Extremely concerned for the health of her husband. This girl, Bernice Pierson, is a gem! Always seems to be up. Always supportive of her husband.

I was wrong about the rifles. There is no rifle in camp. They apparently bring them in by plane as needed. I suppose they figure a cheechako with a firearm in camp is just a bit too much.

Group #2, Two guys and a girl, Wagner, Aujero, and Kung: They spend most of their time cutting (a lot of) wood. Looks like green wood to me. They break their saw. Looks to me like both ends of the log were supported - causing the saw to bind. They fix the saw, but there is tension - and a verbal confrontation - between the two male friends, Wagner and Aujero.

Group #3, Father in 50s with two adult daughters from Kansas - the Family Wise: Petty behaviour continues between the father and two daughters. They appear to accrue the most canned salmon (you have to catch it and can it).

Group #4 Boyfriend/girlfriend from east coast, Frederick and Widmeyer: Going from looking the best, in the first segment, to looking near the bottom of the heap on the second segment, they have a lot of trouble trying to cut wood and manage to have the lids too loose on their canning jars while pressure cooking them and ruin half their salmon. Some of their comments sound pretty discouraging.

I haven't checked the web-site yet. Going to check that now. Seems like these shows air every Tuesday night. Enjoying it enough that I'd hate to miss one.

Looked on the Google map and the area where they are filming is about where I thought it was, about 350 miles from where I lived (not far in AK). It is near the Malaspina Glacier which I remember having pointed out to me (one of the ferries was named the Malaspina) on the way to Anchorage.

Will continue updates if possible.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 4th-May-2008 at 08:51 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Many Thanks Pierre for the detailed description. Sounds fascinating,guess the clever money is on group one?Do you find yourself talking to the television saying thats not the way to do it!Looking foward to the next instalment,Greetings from Sunny Slovenia,Mike.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slo paddler View Post
    Many Thanks Pierre for the detailed description. Sounds fascinating,guess the clever money is on group one?Do you find yourself talking to the television saying thats not the way to do it!Looking foward to the next instalment,Greetings from Sunny Slovenia,Mike.
    I believe it is anyone's guess. Alaska is a big place. Even that is scary. The area where these people are staying has no trails so even going for water is a trek. A turned ankle could take you out of the equation. As contact with the camera crew and "survival expert" are kept to a minimum - cabin fever is likely for any of the groups - to say nothing of the possibility of injuring yourself in a variety of more serious ways - or being eaten by bears - or stomped by a moose.

About ten years ago, Wing's brother was going with a girl. She was a very adventurous type. Friends of hers had a homestead in AK - close to the area where the above show is filmed. She agreed to watch the place for a month while they went "outside." After two weeks she cracked up and had to be flown out and ended up spending some time in a mental ward. Good thing she had a radio. Going from people to No people is a culture shock all by it self.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Been There Done That

Hello All,
    Dennis here from Alaska Experiment. Just remember... It is TV. With hundreds of hours of footage, almost any spin can be made. I have more than 40 years of paddling behind me. I am an ACA certified canoe instructor. I average more than 60 nights per year camping, and that is NOT in the KOA or in an RV. 1 and 2 minute clips do not tell the whole story. If it were all about the successes and good times would anyone want to watch our family vacation videos?

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    After two weeks she cracked up and had to be flown out and ended up spending some time in a mental ward. Good thing she had a radio. Going from people to No people is a culture shock all by it self.
    Pierre - I thank you!

Just the sort of thing I need to know as I get ready to fly out there for my paddling and walking trip.

Oh and thanks also for the tip about the bear spray - I have some on order which will be waiting for me.

Journal Entries

Default Third Show

Third Show:

One month.

Group 1, Piersons: They've cached their goat meat in a tree. They are concerned about predators, and store it in a metal cooler on the cabin porch. Temps plunge, and they are having a hard time finding water. They finally hike a long distance up the glacier and break through ice to get water. This does not appear reasonable as temps will continue to drop and they need three gallons of water a day. They are concerned about a wolf that keeps hanging around the cabin and Greg Pierson carrys a single shot .22 with him when he is out. Apparently they've been left a .22 rifle. Greg and Bernice take turns shooting so they know the gun is accurate. Bernice is not happy to be shooting, but does not want the wolf to get their meat.

Group 2, Wagner, Aujero, Kung: They are given a semi-auto .22 and shoot a rabbit and a squirrel. Kung is not happy about the cleaning process. They are all happy to eat the meat, but it is not enough. They sight in the .22, which is shooting to the left, and Aujero gets into an argument with Jasmine Kung about how to do it. He is right, but acts like a jerk about it and stomps off all pissed. They go hunting and see a buffalo and (I think) shoot at it with the .22. This, of course, is not near large enough a round to drop a buffalo. They find a buffalo carcass that is newly dead and still has meat on it. They scavange quite a bit of meat. Bet they wouldn't have done that the first week.

Group 3, Wise Family: Jennifer Wise, elder daughter (I thought she was the younger one until I read the web-site) goes hunting for moose with a guide. Four days hunting, no moose. They set up an indoor privy. Narrator hints this is not a good idea as their privy is right next to the food. When youngest daughter returns from her last day of hunting, father and other daughter are sick with some kind of gastro intestinal illness. At this point they have only the salmon to provide protein.

Group 4: Frederick and Widmeyer see another bear. Frederick and Widmeyer build crab traps, but have disagreements about how far out to set them. Jeff is afraid that if they go too far out in their hip boots, they will get stuck in the mud. They get no crab. Not sure what happened to the kayaks, but they are apparently not an option. Friction between the pair. They have been going together for five months, and he is making her feel small. Jeff Frederick seems to be dealing with a lot of fear. Elizabeth builds a storage cache, a garbage can set in the ground. She also builds an outdoor privy - under a tarp set up along side their tent. Narrator contrasts this favorably with Wise arrangement. Creek overflows and tide comes up almost to the tent. Privy pit collapses and small amount of water gets into cache. Narrator says she's reached her breaking point. Narrator comments they will be hunting moose on next segment.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 7th-May-2008 at 04:54 AM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Episode 3

I am happy you all tuned in to the show
    "A man has to believe in something... I believe I will go canoeing"

Dennis
    Last edited by iwhitewater; 8th-May-2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: needed to be more brief

Default My retirement present

I thought I would show you all my retirement present from my wife. We spent a week at Quiet Canoes in Kansas and built the dream of mine. It is a 16ft 3 inch tripper cedar strip canoe. I took my brass retirement badge from GM and inset it into the deck plate.
    http://www.quietcanoes.com/Quiet%20C...ry%20Wise.html

And YES I do paddle it on rivers. Life is too short to paddle an ugly canoe!

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by iwhitewater View Post
    Hello All,
    Dennis here from Alaska Experiment. Just remember... It is TV. With hundreds of hours of footage, almost any spin can be made. I have more than 40 years of paddling behind me. I am an ACA certified canoe instructor. I average more than 60 nights per year camping, and that is NOT in the KOA or in an RV.
    It's good to have you along in the forum! Why not post something in the Introductions forum to say hi? (very nice strip canoe by the way!)
    'Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are wet'

Journal Entries

Dennis: Welcome to SOTP. In reading the above posts - I find myself embarrassed. I wish I had been a bit kinder in my commentary. Wing (over my shoulder) is asking why I didn't include some of my commentary while watching the show. Salmon fishing: "Looks like they have their priorities straight." Moose hunting: "Good moose call." Urine fence: "Great idea." Indoor privy: "There's nothing wrong with that. We've done that many times." Well, hindsight is always 20-20.

I'm thinking this is the end of my commentary on the Alaska Experiment. With all the times I've been misquoted by journelists over the years (to the point where I won't talk to them anymore), I should know better than to take a "reality show" at face value.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Pierre,you were just telling it as you saw it,nothing wrong with that!We all know its just Television,but it does not stop us getting carried along with it wanting to know what happens next,its like reading agood book,but when the characters become real it throws us into a quandry.I feel particulary bad as we don't even have a television,but we really enjoyed your updates and would still like to know how everybody fared!
    Dennis,Welcome to SOTP and don't be too hard on us!Best Wishes,Slo Paddler(Mike)

Default Keep going Pierre...

You can't stop now! It would be just so unfair...

Journal Entries

Pierre,you were just telling it as you saw it,nothing wrong with that!We all know its just Television,but it does not stop us getting carried along with it wanting to know what happens next,its like reading agood book,but when the characters become real it throws us into a quandry.I feel particulary bad as we don't even have a television,but we really enjoyed your updates and would still like to know how everybody fared!
    Dennis,Welcome to SOTP and don't be too hard on us!Best Wishes,Slo Paddler(Mike)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thysville View Post
    You can't stop now! It would be just so unfair...

Hmm, well, okay. I'm definitely still going to watch - but I think we'll have to prevail on Dennis to deliver input for his camp.

PG
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

One really does wonder. The thought of siting a privy next to food stuffs?

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

Journal Entries

Show Four:

Snow on the ground in higher elevations (Group 1 and Group 2). All groups are seeing significant weight loss.

Group 1, Greg and Bernice Pierson: Bernice falls sick. Narrator makes comments which question the efficacy of their meat storage, hinting, but never stating, that the meat may have become tainted causing Bernice's illness (hate the way the narrator does that). Greg is very concerned and solicitous of her health. He tells her to stay in bed though he is concerned about the amount of work he will have to do alone, but states it is time for him to "step up." He still travels to the creek area for ice. With snow on the ground and the need for a fire in the stove - seems like he could just melt snow in a kettle on the stove and save himself the trek. This would be labor intensive, but probably less so (and less dangerous) than the trek to the creek. Bernice recovers after several days and is shown assisting Greg with chores.

Group 2, Jasmine Kung, Tim Wagner, Alan Ajuro: With their protein intake insufficient, one of them must go hunting for a mountain goat with a guide. As none of them are interested in hunting, they draw cards and the hunt falls to Tim Wagner. He is reluctant. He and the guide set off in a rubber raft in cold weather conditions down a river. He is concerned about being in the small boat in cold water. It is mentioned several times that 90 seconds immersion will lead to hypothermia. This gets quite tiring - as if to say "If you fall in you will die in 90 seconds." Load of crap. He has a very successful hunt, and though he hates gutting the goat, he returns within 24 hours with 100 to 150 pounds of meat. Last scene shows the three of them cooking steaks and enjoying the meat. Kung says she'd planned to become a full time vegetarian upon her return to civilization, but now - maybe not.

Group three: Dennis, Carolyn, and Jennifer Wise: This segment starts out showing them building a drying rack and once again showing argument between the girls and Dennis over how many poles he wants cut. Further footage shows them, cooperating in good spirits, building innovative and practical beds to keep them off the cold floor (If I remember correctly, the Wises have a "boxwood" stove - one of the poorer stoves, not an airtight - and not really sufficient for Alaska winter conditions). Carolyn praises her father's ideas. It also shows a rainwater catchment Dennis has concocted to save labor and provide good water, and the three of them gathering the last berries of the season to make jelly to improve and vary their diet.

Group Three: Jeff Frederick and Elizabeth Widmeyer: Frederick and Widmeyer are shown having better relations. They set off on a four day moose hunt, and come agonizingly close to getting a moose, but are unsuccessful.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 14th-May-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Default Thanks for that.

Had a look on Sky but no sign of it being shown over here yet.

What is a Boxwood stove?

I look forward to reading the rest when I get back home from my trip away.

Many Thanks Pierre,for taking up your pen again!Best wishes,Slo paddler.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thysville View Post
    Had a look on Sky but no sign of it being shown over here yet.

What is a Boxwood stove?

I look forward to reading the rest when I get back home from my trip away.

Small rectangular wood stove, flat top and can be used for cooking. usually made of cast iron, but sometimes having sheet metal sides. Not air tight. Usually thought of as a three season stove around here. Burns hot for a short period of time, but does not hold a fire over night.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default alaska experiment

a rivetting thread pierre i hope you keep on keeping us updated and that the show will get an airing over here someday.regards w
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Keep it coming.

Note to self. Read what you see, not what you imagine might be there. (I thought I saw, '...four day mouse hunt'.)

TGB

Journal Entries

Default Stoves

Stoves:

In cold weather conditions, the type of stove you have can make a world of difference.

I replayed the first segment which shows the first views of the different cabins and tent and the stoves.

The Wise stove is, in fact, a boxwood. The circular "burner" lid on the top of the stove make it very hard for this type of stove to remain air-tight.

The Wagner/Ajero/Kung group appears to have the best stove, a large plate steel airtight.

Widmeyer and Frederick have a flat-top barrel stove. Not the type of stove I would choose for cold weather. Like the box wood it has a tendency to burn all the wood before the night is over.

Though I went through all the segments, I was unable to ascertain what type of stove the Piersons have. I may just have missed it while skimming through. It seems to me that they had some kind of an airtight as well. Of all the dwellings - the camera shows the inside of theirs the least.

It's not that you can't survive without an air-tight stove. I've often stayed at our cabin on Wanless Creek in winter, sometimes for two weeks. At least once it was minus 40 degrees Celcius. This cabin is not tight, and wind whistles through the cracks. You can still survive, but you never get to remove your boots unless you are in the sack, and you can't keep anything canned as it freezes and goes bad. The water bucket is frozen solid in the morning.

Another thought on the "Alaska Experiment." Those with meat are looking good. Those without are on the edge of survival. This brings to mind my grandfather's comments concerning his early life. "If we didn't get a moose, we didn't live well." Unlike the people on the show, my grandfather and his family never hunted. They just carried their guns with them where ever they went, and shot game when they saw it.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 15th-May-2008 at 11:34 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

This is to be shown in the UK at the end of the month under the title "Alaska: Surviving The Last Frontier"
    http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/tv...v/lastfrontier

Thanks Pierre for your commentary, I for one would still be interested in what you have to say about it.

Dennis, Your comments are welcome as well.
    Adam
    Proud owner of 2 UK built canoes..
    15' Apache - http://www.apache-canoes.com
    16' Prospector - http://www.venturecanoes.com

I have a mental image of a group of Gary Larson bears sitting together and plotting how to catch the unwary humans off-guard! (o:

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helixpteron View Post
    I have a mental image of a group of Gary Larson bears sitting together and plotting how to catch the unwary humans off-guard! (o:
    If bear were really interested in "catching" humans - it wouldn't be that tough for them. Most of the time, what is going through a bear's head when he come in contact with a human is "Fear humans - love human's food." These two opposing outlooks are at war within a bear and account for a large portion for bear's conduct around humans.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Bear, Bear, don't be here!

I have absolute respect for the bears. You just have to let them know you are there and make sure not to *@A#% them off.

Dennis
    (not at the top of the food chain)
    A man must belive in something...
    I believe I will go canoeing

Journal Entries

One common trade item, during the fur trade era, was bells. These were worn by Native Americans - especially the women - to let bears know they were around. Brown bear, especially, do not like to be startled, and will often react violently if they are.

We once pulled into a creek in Bristol Bay (in AK) to sport fish and startled a brown bear. It was a very good thing our skiff and motor were faster than the bear. They can sure cover ground!
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

One Month To Go:

Group 1: Greg and Bernice Pierson: I got a look at their stove. It appears to be a Jotul, or something similar - a very good type of stove to have. Otherwise, Greg and Bernice are not doing well. They are both afraid of wolves and are spending more and more time in the cabin - bringing on cabin fever. Bernice is hearing things, and Greg is having bad dreams, worried about "bad spirits" in the cabin and hallucinates an old woman standing at the foot of his bed.

A lot of people are afraid of wolves. Maybe it is just growing up with them present all the time, but I've always been aware they are more afraid of me than I am of them. A person should never take a wild animal for granted, but wolves would not be of much concern to me. Brown bears, on the other hand, would be a large concern.

Group 2: Jasmine Kung, Tim Wagner, and Alan Ajero are in the best shape at the beginning of this segment, with lots of meat and firewood. They are so confident, they decided to hike the 40 miles to Greg and Bernice's cabin. They decide it will take four days. They get into a snow storm, while in a river valley, and forge ahead instead of hunkering down. They end up going up the river valley instead of crossing it. It takes them seven days to get to Greg and Bernice's cabin. They run out of food and are 36 hours without water during the worst part of the trek - up the glacier. They hallucinate, believing they are hearing Greg and Bernice singing. As the segment ends, they find the cabin and are greeted by Greg and Bernice.

I just don't know what to think about this. I would never have considered this trek in winter over mountainous terrain I was unfamiliar with. I would have had a lot of rope for crossing the river, and I would have had a kettle to melt snow for water, instead of trying to hydrate by eating snow. Mostly, I just wouldn't have done the trek.

Group 3, Wise Family, Dennis, Carolyn, and Jennifer: Jennifer and Carolyn are fed up with salmon. Dennis loves salmon. The snow, which brings such heartache elsewhere, has Dennis and the girls out enjoying themselves - building a snowman.

Group 4, Jeff Frederick and Elizabeth Widmeyer: Jeff and Liz are in tough shape. They've had no meat for a long time, and each of them, lean to begin with, have lost 15 pounds. They decide to hike down the beach of Icey Bay to the Gulf of Alaska, hoping for a chance at better fishing. The storm hits and they have to camp overnight. The next segment shows them walking up on the Wise family who are down on the beach looking for something to use for a nose, etc, for their snowman. The Wise's greet them warmly and invite them in for something hot to drink and a good meal. Jeff and Liz are impressed with the Wise cabin, which is snug and cozy compared to their tent. Dennis is happy to show off the improvements they've made. Jeff looks askance at Dennis' indoor biffy. Dennis shares his view of the Gulf of Alaska, "Better than church." Jeff and Liz leave in higher spirits than they came.

Once again there are twists and turns, but as Dennis has pointed out - these are just a few minutes out of quite a long segment of time, and are easily manipulated to portray the story line the snow's producers have decided on. As to the indoor biff - we've sure made use of "thunder mugs" in every cabin we've had - over the years - with no ill effects.

In the UK:
    PREMIERES MONDAY 26 MAY, 4pm
    TUESDAYS AT 10pm FROM 27 MAY

Last edited by pierre girard; 22nd-May-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Presently in a place with TV, soon to go back, to not watching TV. So won't be able to tell you if it's the same show. But 'Discovery' are previewing a show called 'Surviving Alaska', due to start sometime soon.

But please continue the updates.

TGB

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Presently in a place with TV, soon to go back, to not watching TV. So won't be able to tell you if it's the same show. But 'Discovery' are previewing a show called 'Surviving Alaska', due to start sometime soon.

But please continue the updates.

TGB
    I believe it is the same series - so you'll be able to judge for yourself.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

First show should have aired in UK by now.

Show #6:

Group 1 & 2: Greg & Bernice Pierson - who've been joined by Jasmine Kung, Tim Wagner, & Alan Ajero. Very cramped quarters in Pierson cabin. Jasmine, Tim, and Alan have to sleep in their tent. Food situation is critical. Jasmine has badly sprained her leg on the trip in, and wasn't even aware of it. Tim, Jasmine, & Alan are very apprehensive of a return trip to their cabin. Tim helps Greg with firewood and hunting for ptarmigan. Alan finds blueberries under the snow and helps with cooking. Greg and Bernice need a getaway, and go down under the glacier. They are very concerned about the food situation. Greg and Tim find ptarmigan and shoot two. A "ptarmigan" Thanksgiving dinner is cooked up and everyone is thankful. Greg & Bernice tell Tim, Jasmine, & Alan they are welcome to stay. It is less than two weeks to the end of the experiment.

Group 3, Wise family: Dennis, who has had cancer in the past, finds a lump on a certain part of his anatomy while bathing. He tells Carolyn and Jennifer and they are very supportive and worried. Dennis is afraid this is something that needs to be delt with immediately. He is allowed to use the producer's Sat phone and calls his doctor. The doctor does not believe it is cancerous and advises Dennis he can stay in Alaska. The Wise family has a Thanksgiving dinner. The food isn't much different, but they are very thankful.

Group 4, Jeff Frederick and Elizabeth Widmeyer: They celebrate their thanksgiving by breaking into the canned salmon - which they've apparently been hoarding. Elizabeth makes a slamon loaf with breading. Jeff thinks it is incredibly good. Jeff receives word that his father is very ill with cancer and is in intensive care. Jeff and his parents talked about this possibility before he left and his father told him to stay until the end of the experiment no matter what happened with his (the father's) health.
    Jeff says that was easy to do at the time, but not so easy now. In the end, with 11 days left to go, Jeff feels it is paramont to return to his family and father. He makes the statement that if his father died, he wouldn't be able to live with it - whereas, if he misses out on the last 11 days of the experiment, it just won't effect him that much as he knows they would have been able to see it through. Good choice. Final shots are of Jeff with his family at the hospital. Section is dedicated to Joe Frederkick with a death date of 2008.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default more footage

Because of less commercials in the U.K. there will be more footage not seen in the USA version.
    We also taped a reunion program last week with Les Stroud (Survivorman) as the host. It was a fantastic experience getting together and talking about our experiences.

Dennis

Default UK version

The UK version is titled Alaska: Surviving the last frontier

Thank you for the updates PG. I'll have to see if I could get it on DVD or something similar. As I won't be able to watch it here.

TGB

Default Alaska Experiment diaries

Discovery channel has now begun posting diaries from the volunteers. There is also video footage that did not appear on the show that is now available to view. I invite all to go to discovery channel http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/alaska/a...ticipants.html and read the blogs. It will give you a lot a better impression of what daily life was all about. Here is a link to the videos http://dsc.discovery.com/video/ work your way through the menu to find Alaska Experiment videos.

Dennis

Default Alaska Surviving the Last Frontier

I've been watching it here on Sky. Not sure what channel though.

It's worth watching if you like reality shows. As Pierre commented the dynamics coupled with the practicalities of having to live beyond the local store promise to be interesting as some people are already showing signs of stress.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Default Alaska Experiment on Discovery Channel Canada

I saw the Alaska Experiment listed for Saturday Dec 13 and Saturday Dec 20 on Discovery Channel Canada. It is also running now in Australia.

Here is a pic I took while in boundary waters in my cedar stripper this past fall

Dennis