Thread: Linder aluminium canoe

Default Linder aluminium canoe

Hi ,
    am looking to buy a linder aluminium canoe but cant find any reviews on them ,its for sale at £450 and in good nick ,are they any good?

Cheers,

Matt.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MATTQ
    Hi ,
    am looking to buy a linder aluminium canoe but cant find any reviews on them ,its for sale at £450 and in good nick ,are they any good?

Cheers,

Matt.
    Well, I found a review, but it is in Swedish, and I don't read Swede.

The only experience I have with aluminum canoes are Grumans and Alumacraft. These are usually a little on the heavy side at about 75 pounds. They will take quite a bit of abuse, but do not glide through the water as nice as some other canoes. My 1947 Gruman has been down many rapids - and has the dents to show it - but it still floats.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

Aluminum Canoes were first built by failing aircraft companies after WWII. They are rough and tough, last forever, can be left outside for years at a time, require little to no maintenance, and are fairly easy to repair. If the Russian army built a canoe it would look just like a Grumman. All around they are a good canoe, and here in Canada they were used in the 1970's to survey all the wild rivers in the country as they were the only thing at the time that could handle the constant abuse. They tend to be noisier than other canoes as every wave branch and rock hit sends a resounding BOOM through the hull. They tend to stick to rocks like glue instead of slide over them but don't puncture easy. Lastly they tend to heat up in the sun like a reflector oven with you inside, also shining a glare of light on you. Some people paint the inside flat black to rectify this. If you can get past the few little hang ups, Aluminum is one solid material for canoes.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Journal Entries

Can't comment of the aluminium canoes but for the same sort of money you could get a Coleman / Pelican canoe which again is heavier than the royalex canoes but will take loads of abuse.

Personally I wouldn't give an alloy canoe garage space even if it cost me nothing.

Each to his own, but I think you can do better.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2