Thread: Chichester Ship Canal

Default Chichester Ship Canal

Here is a link to Chichester Canal.

There is easy parking next to the canal basin and at Hunston on the road between Chichester and Selsey. it is also possible to park in the lay-by on the A27 next to the Canal bridge. although this involves manoeuvring your canoe down a path with several railings in the way.

The Canal trust is separate from British waterways and thus you will need a day license that can be purchased from the cafe.
    Last edited by wayne; 15th-April-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

BCU membership covers the Chichester Canal. There is also a canal side shop which sell tea/coffee and ice creams etc. run by volunteers at the basin.
    There are plans to refurbish the remaining couple of miles down to Chichester Marina, hopefully in about 2 years or so.
    Kazbunny
    Don't dream it... DO IT!

I was told that the BCU membership did not cover this canal, and so have either paid the MASSIVE 12 ish a year, or just quoted my number from the previous year, (why do I remember it?), (naughty I know), and that seems to suffice.
    Great for an easy relaxing after work paddle, but to short for a longer trip.
    Richard.
    What a long strange trip its been.......

I have also paid the annual canoe licence 12. I think this is good value as the money goes towards the restoration of the canal. I tend to use the canal when I want quiet hour or so to practice my paddle strokes without feeling I need to push the distance.

I am looking forward to when Chichester is once again connected to the harbour via the canal. That should make a really good days paddle.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Default Chichester Canal

Since being introduced to this canal by Richard , I really enjoy paddling this canal with the children.

The promise of sweets and fizzy drinks at the Canal shop is a powerful incentive for them to paddle harder

I've noticed in the last couple of months the canal trust have carried out an enourmous amount of work clearing the banks.

I await with interest the opening of the canal to the sea.