Thread: Where to paddle in West Yorkshire

Default Where to paddle in West Yorkshire

Does anyone know where i can paddle in West Yorkshire? I have just taken up this noble art and am at a loss to know where we are 'allowed' to go. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Hi
    There my brother Mick B and I know a nice trip from Durker near Jnc39 M1 to Horbury bridge on the Canal and then back down the river calder probably 4to5 miles in all with a pub at both ends good for an evening trip if you fancy it let me know.
    The paddling in west yorks is mainley on canals/navigations so I would advise joining the BCU who will issue you a permit for canals and waterways.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

hi, that sounds really good will give you a shout when i can arrange it,

I grew up in Halifax and occasionally paddled on the Leeds-Liverpool canal in my teens

I understand that Sowerby Bridge to Hedden Bridge section has recently under gone extensive refurbishment in places, I would think that would be a good day out. If you wished you could paddle 1 way and catch the train back as both run pretty much parallel On the same canal a bit further along towards Todmorden I think there are some tunnel sections - paddling in the dark could be quite good fun (with or with out headtorch).

I think I also read on this site of someone who went down the River Calder and came back along the L-L canal. Try searching "Calder"

Enjoy and report back, you never know, I may be tempted to stick the canoe on the roof next time I drop the kids off for a week at their granny's.

Waterscape.com is the site to look at for all the canals and some rivers around England and Wales.

Try this link http://www.waterscape.com/Yorkshire_...ide/waterways/

and http://www.waterscape.com/Pennines/waterways/

Q
    Last edited by Quercus; 16th-June-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Hi there welcome to the site.
    I paddled the stretch mentioned by David B yesterday Thurs 15.I missed out the River stretch on the way back as a couple of hundred yards downstream there is a nice rapid when there is plenty of water in the River, but it becomes a very technical rock garden in low water(too technical for me).Hope to see you on the water soon Mike B...

Default reply

I am also a bit of a newcomer to canoeing and my summer project is paddling the length of the Leeds Liverpool canal in stages. 3 days have taken me from Leeds to Skipton so far. It is an absolute delight, very scenic, not that many other boats and with plenty of wildlife. Cannot recommend it enough if you happy with flat water.