View RSS Feed

Life in a Northern Town

Crow's Trip Log

Rating: 6 votes, 4.00 average.

JUNE 2009 - OCTOBER 2017

What a long strange trip it's been....

This is a little experiment to see if I can set up an ongoing trip log, to keep a record of my canoe trips in one place and have links to pictures and blogs of them. Kind of an ongoing blog of blogs, or a "metablog" maybe. Well, it keeps me out of trouble on dark winter nights when there's nowt on telly....

ONGOING....

TRIP LOG FOLLOWS BELOW....

Updated Yesterday at 10:03 PM by Crow

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Love your blogs friend Crow!
    PART 36 - May 2014 - June 2014

This is a log of canoe trips I've been on since joining SOTP. Or at least the ones that have been blogged. Click on the pictures to see the full blogs and trip reports.

133. Tantallon Castle, Firth of Forth, May 2014

A paddle down the coast from North Berwick to Tantallon Castle, with views of the Bass Rock along the way.

134. Mousa Island, Shetland, June 2014

A trip to Shetland using bike, train, ferry, bus and packraft in the simmer dim. Paddling round Mousa Broch on the packraft.

135. St. Ninian's Isle, Shetland, June 2014

A paddle round St. Ninian's Isle in the packraft, featuring tombolo beaches, geos, caves and cliffs.

136. Union Canal, Edinburgh, June 2014

I wasn't paddling here, but some pics of the raft race at the Canal Festival.

More to follow in due course. (I hope!!)
    Updated 10th-August-2014 at 08:23 AM by Crow
    PART 37 - June 2014 - July 2014

This is a log of canoe trips I've been on since joining SOTP. Or at least the ones that have been blogged. Click on the pictures to see the full blogs and trip reports.

137. Cumbrae Isles, Firth of Clyde, June 2014

Short paddle out to Big and Wee Cumbrae, via the coal terminal and with some seals.

138. Fidra Island, Firth of Forth, July 2014

A visit to the original Treasure Island, featuring puffins, lots of gulls and some bouncy seas.

139. Inchcolm Island, Firth of Forth, July 2014

Paddling from Aberdour on the Fife side, out to the monastery island of Inchcolm, with G&T's new kayak, meeting very friendly seals.

140. St. Andrews and St. Monans, Fife, July 2014

Two coastal paddles in Fife, visiting St. Andrews, St. Monans to Elie, and Lady's Tower .

Updated 25th-September-2014 at 12:10 PM by Crow
    PART 38 - July 2014 - August 2014

141. Loch Awe, Argyll, July 2014

A return visit camping on the islands of Loch Awe with my son James. Featuring a hammock, a stolen camera, sunshine, rain, great weather and terrible weather - typical Loch Awe!

142. Farne Islands, Northumberland, August 2014

First of three epic paddles in three consecutive days, with Waveloud. From Bamborough out to the Inner and Out Farne Islands, with puffins, lighthouses ad lots of seals. Plus Dave on his SUP.

143. Bass Rock, Firth of Forth, August 2014

Day two with Wavecloud. A trip out to and around the legendary Bass Rock, by SUP, SOT and sea kayak with Wavecloud and G&T. A long held ambition fulfilled.

144. St. Abbs Head, Berwickshire, August 2014

The third paddle with Wavecloud, along some spectacular coastline from St. Abbs to Pease Bay, with the wind behind us.

Updated 25th-September-2014 at 12:50 PM by Crow
    PART 39 - August 2014 - October 2014

145. Loch Sween and the Sound of Jura, Argyll, August 2014

A camping trip to Loch Sween, the Faery Isles, Castle Sween and the small islands out in the Sound of Jura. Glorious weather and prefect seas.

146. Loch Ard and The Lake of Menteith, September 2014

Supporting a swimming race on Loch Ard, then a paddle on a pea green Lake of Menteith. Blue green algae and a monastery.

147. Isle of Bute, September 2014

Another swimming race support job, this time on the Isle of Bute. With a paddle beforehand in the Kyles on Bute. On the Autumn Equinox.

148. Port of Leith, October 2014

A paddle in the packraft down the Water of Leith, into the harbour at the Port of Leith, past the Royal Yacht, Britannia, and out into the Firth of Forth then along the coast to Newhaven.

Updated 6th-November-2014 at 10:00 PM by Crow
    PART 40 - October 2014 - December 2014

149. Cap d'Antibes, France, October 2014

A paddle round Cap d'Antibes in the South of France, in a couple of hired kayaks, with Jenny in the October sunshine.

150. Cap Ferrat, France, October 2014

Another paddle on the Cote d'Azur, this time round Cap Ferrat, encountering strong winds and big seas off the cape, with Jenny and more hired kayaks.

151. Windermere, Lake District, December 2014

A winter's afternoon on the northern part of Windermere, in my Wenonah Prism, in low sun.

152. Ullswater, Lake District, December 2014

A winter's afternoon on the southern part of Ullswater, in my Wenonah Prism, in low sun and on glassy water..

Updated 10th-December-2014 at 10:36 PM by Crow
    PART 41 - December 2014 - March 2015

153. River Allen, Northumberland, December 2014

A winter's day paddle in the packraft, from Plankey Mill to Ridley Hall with a side excursion to Moralee Tarn

154. River Tyne, East Lothian, March 2015

A paddle down the Scottish River Tyne, passing Hailes Castle, Trapain Law, East Linton and the John Muir Way.

155. Dunbar and Belhaven Bay, March 2015

A paddle out of Dunbar harbour in some rough weather, followed by a bit of surfing in Belhaven Bay.

156. Dundee and the River Tay, March 2015

In the packraft on the Tay in Dundee. From the harbour, under the Tay Road Bridge and down to Discovery Point.

Updated 27th-April-2015 at 05:26 PM by Crow
    PART 42 - April 2015 - May 2105

157. Loch Leven, Castle Stalker and Loch Etive, April 2015

The Lothian Sea Kayak Club's annual Big Bash - based at Onich, with paddles in Loch Leven, Loch Linnhe (round Castle Stalker) and the Falls of Lora in Loch Etive.

158. Whiteadder Water, April 2015

A trip down the Whiteadder river in the Borders, including rapids, waterfalls, falling in, and a visit to Edin's Hall Broch.

159. Lake Długie, Poland, May 2015

Canoeing with Roy and Cecylia on the beautiful lakes and rivers of western Poland. Involving low bridges, sausages and tanks.

160. River Clyde, Glasgow, May 2015

Paddling down the River Clyde through the city of Glasgow - from the People's Palace to Govan Ferry. With an outgoing tide but an incoming wind. Featuring lots of bridges, two packrafts, one paddle steamer, one sailing ship and a shuttle by Subway.

Updated 27th-May-2015 at 08:27 PM by Crow
    PART 43 - May 2015 - June 2015

161. River Tay, Perthshire, May 2015

Two days on the River Tay. Stanley rapids and Mills on Day 1. Dalguise to the city of Dunkeld and on to the Birnam Oak on Day 2. Featuring helmets and bicycle shuttles.

162. Gladhouse Reservoir, Midlothian, June 2015

Trying out a Pakraft Puffin folder/inflatable on on a pleasant reservoir in the Lothians.

163. Loch Lomond, June 2015

Swimming race safety boat duties on Loch Lomond, followed by a paddle out round the islands.

164. Loch Tay, June 2015

Sunny, glassy day on Loch Tay - with partially sighted SUP paddler Dean.

Updated 21st-June-2015 at 08:38 PM by Crow
    PART 44 - July 2015

165. North Berwick, East Lothian, July 2015

A short paddle off the beach at North Berwick on a sunny but windy day. Featuring lobsters.

166. Forth Railway Bridge, July 2015

Visiting the newly awarded World Heritage Site, with James. Crossing the Forth underneath the bridge, landing on Inchgarvie, and narrowly missing a thunderstorm.

167. Loch Ossian, River Ossian, Loch Ghuilbinn, Abhainn Guilbinn & Loch Laggan, July 2015

A two day packraft expedition with James, using the West Highland Railway for the shuttle, involving trekking and paddling in remote territory. And some scary white water rapids! Plus a deer's skull.

168. Rivers Cele, Lot, Dordogne and Vezere, France, July 2015

Delivering a canoe to MarkL in France. Paddling with him on the Cele and the Lot, and paddling hire boats on the Lot, Dordigne and Vezere in SW France, one hot summer.

Updated 8th-August-2015 at 06:06 PM by Crow
    PART 45 - August 2015 - November 2015

169. Orkney, August 2015

Paddling off the east coast of Deerness along some stunning cliffs and entering The Gloup. Plus caves, cliffs and tunnels on the coast of South Ronalsay island, on a glancing visit to the Paddle Orkney sea kayaking symposium.

170. North Tyne, September 2015

Boney packraft paddle on the dreaded Warden Gorge in the sunshine. Not much water!

171. Farne Islands, October 2015

A solo sea trip out to the Longstone Lighthouse and the Outer Farne Islands in Northumberland, on a beautiful autumn day. Featuring a mass armada of curious seals and some strange tidal currents.

172. North Tyne, November 2015

Back to Warden Gorge - with a bit more water this time. James and I with packrafts, running the rapids shortly before the Tyne Tour crowds arrived.

Updated 13th-April-2016 at 11:23 AM by Crow
    PART 46 - April 2016

173. Elie, Fife, April 2016

A paddle along the Fife coast combined with a scramble along the Elie Chainwalk.

174. Pittenweem, Fife, April 2016

An evening paddle off Pittenweem on the Fife coast, and in the fishing harbour.

175. Loch Awe, Argyll, April 2016

A paddle in the lower stretch of Loch Awe, by Davalich, visiting the castle on Innis Chonnell, and the graveyard on Innis Errich. Plus New York. And a quick look at Loch Avich.

176. Loch Leven, Kinross, April 2016

Exploring Loch Leven, launching at Kinross, visiting Castle Island, of Mary Queen of Scots fame, in sunshine and wind.

Updated 15th-May-2016 at 02:00 PM by Crow
    PART 47 - May 2016

177. River Tyne, East Lothian, May 2016

A trip along the Scottish River Tyne, from Haddington to Hailes Castle and back, by packraft and bicycle.

178. Firth of Forth, May 2016

A paddle with the LSKC, from Long Craig Pier to Blackness Castle, going under the Forth Railway Bridge, the Forth Road Bridge, and the new Queensferry Crossing (still being built at the time).

179. Craigleith, Lamb and the Bass Rock, Firth of Forth, May 2016

A trip to Craigleith and Lamb islands that also turned into an attempt to tunnel through the heart of the Bass Rock.

180. River Thames, London, May 2016

Packrafting trip with James on the Thames through central London, from Vauxhall Bridge to Tower Bridge, featuring lots of helicopters, police and big boats.

Updated 12th-July-2016 at 09:52 PM by Crow
    PART 48 - June 2016 - July 2016

181. River Lyon, Perthshire, June 2016

The River Lyon, by bike and packraft. With a trip to Dull, and an adder.

182. Bass Rock, July 2016

An expedition to explore the tunnel that cuts right through the Bass Rock from west to east. Paddling with speleology.

183. St. Mary's Loch, July 2016

A paddle on St.Mary's Loch and the Loch of the Lowes, in the borders. Featuring sheep and cyclists.

184. River Tweed, Peebles to Innerleithen, July 2016

Cycle and packraft paddle between Peebles and Innerleithen on the Tweed, during a heatwave in July!

Updated 10th-August-2016 at 12:44 PM by Crow
    PART 49 - July 2016 - August 2016

184. River Tweed, Dryburgh to Kelso, July 2016

The River Tweed on a wet day, by bike and packraft. Featuring Makerstoun Rapids.

185. River Avon, Worcestershire, August 2016

A trip from Pershore to Tewkesbury on the River Avon with Rockhopper and Dottie.

186. Birmingham, August 2016

Paddle on the Grand Union Canal into Birmingham City Centre with Rockhopper, Yeletah, Ictoaun, Cankay, Jeff, Pete and Adam.

187. Dunbar, August 2016

A misty paddle down the coast from Belhaven Bay to Dunbar and on to an elusive lighthouse.

Updated 5th-September-2016 at 09:09 PM by Crow
    PART 50 - September 2016 - October 2016

188. Hudson River, New York City, September 2016

Free kayaks on the Hudson River, NYC, opposite Jersey City and near the World Trade Center.

189. Loch Chon, Trossachs, September 2016

A paddle on Loch Chon in my Prism on a September afternoon.

190. Loch Bad Na Muirichinn, Loch Ghlinne Sgoilte, Loch Uidh Na Ceardaich, Fionn Loch, Suilven, and Kirkaig River, Sutherland, October 2016

A packraft expedition with James, up the aforementioned lochs and down the rapids to the Falls of Kirkaig. With a side trip up Suilven, and down in the dark. Involving ticks, exhaustion, submersion, broken paddle, lost hat and great scenery.

191. Inchmickery, Firth of Forth, October 2016

A paddle to the 'battleship island' of Inchmickery, beyond Cramond Island in the Firth of Forth. "Papillon meets The Birdman Of Alcatraz on Kim Jong-il's favourite getaway island".

Updated 4th-December-2016 at 03:09 PM by Crow
    PART 51 - November 2016 - December 2016

192. Carron Valley Reservoir, Trossachs, November 2016

A paddle on Strathcarron Loch. Plus a visit to the Kelpies in Falkirk, at the other end of the River Carron.

193. Gladhouse Reservoir, Midlothian, November 2016

A paddle on Gladhouse reservoir on a cold November afternoon.

194. North Berwick to Tantallon Castle, Firth of Forth, December 2016

A sea paddle in the twilight, along the shore to Tantallon Castle and back, as darkness falls on a winter's day.

195. Regent's Canal, London, December 2016

A paddle from King's Cross to London Zoo, via Camden Town, on the Regent's Canal. With shuttle by tube and bus.

Updated 6th-January-2017 at 05:50 PM by Crow
    PART 52 - January 2017 - March 2017

196. Queensferry Crossing, Firth of Forth, January 2017

A paddle out to the new Queensferry Crossing bridge, to view how the construction was coming along. Featuring aerial shots and dodging giant freight ferries.

197. Loch Katrine, February 2017

A paddle on Loch Katrine on a dark winter's day, featuring road closures, waves, and a heroic quest for a decent cup of coffee.

198. Whiteadder Reservoir, February 2017

A snowy paddle on Whiteadder Reservoir in East Lothian, the day after Hurricane Doris.

199. Arbroath, March 2017

A sunny paddle along the sandstone cliffs to the north of Arbroath up to Auchmithie, involving sea caves, arches and blow holes. And a search for Arbroath Smokies.

Updated 4th-April-2017 at 08:57 PM by Crow
    PART 53 - April 2017 - May 2017

200. St. Abbs Head, April 2017

A wet then dry paddle round the spectacular volcanic cliffs of St. Abbs Head, in the Borders. Exploring caves, islets and inlets and meeting troglodyte seals.

201. Loch Achray and Loch Venachar, Trossachs, May 2017

A sunny packraft paddle along Loch Achray then down the Black Water river into Loch Venachar. With a bicycle shuttle.

202. Rivers Teith and Forth, Doune to Stirling, May 2017

The Old Town Pack gets an outing, from Teith Bridge at Doune, down the Teith to where it meets the Forth, under Stirling Old Bridge and finishing up at Stirling Rowing Club. Featuring some scrapy bits and rapids, strong winds, and an errant seal. And a very pleasant bike shuttle.

203. River Spey, Aviemore, May 2017

The First Scottish Packrafting & Adventure Bike Roundup, at Inshriach, on the Spey near Aviemore. Organised by Andy Toop of Backcountry Biking. A wet weekend's camping, but a great chance to meet up with other packrafters from all around the world. And a couple of paddles on the Spey, plus a band, craft beer and locally made gin.

Updated 19th-June-2017 at 10:21 AM by Crow
    PART 54 - June 2017

204. Moray Firth and Cromarty Forth, June 2017

Two paddles in one day, in the north east. First from Chanonry Point to Fort George on the Moray Firth. Second from Cromarty out past the Sutors and then across to visit an abandoned oil rig. Hoping to spot dolphins, which we did, eventually, from the Nigg ferry.

205. Kyle of Tongue, Sutherland, June 2017

A paddle on the North Coast, out to and round the Rabbit Islands in the Kyle of Tongue, from Talmine. Featuring an early bath in a rock pool, some great rocky coastlines and caves and beaches, new territory to explore and some challenging water in places. Finished up by a cycle to John O'Groats.

206. Eriskay, Outer Hebrides, June 2017

While staying on South Uist, we drove across the causeway to Eriskay then paddled down the eastern coast of that island, and then on to the Stack Islands below Eriskay. Where I climbed up to the Weaver's Castle. Featuring vomiting shags guarding a cave on Eriskay!

207. Vallay, Outer Hebrides, June 2017

A paddle from Griminish on North Uist, to the island of Vallay. Featuring emerald and azure seas, white beaches and strong winds! Visiting the ruins of Vallay House, and later on an exhibition about the Hebridean Cable Transit Company at the museum in Lochmaddy.

Updated 26th-July-2017 at 08:17 PM by Crow
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast