View RSS Feed

Life in a Northern Town

Crow's Trip Log

Rating: 6 votes, 4.00 average.

JUNE 2009 - MAY 2017

What a long strange trip it's been....

This is a little experiment to see if I can set up an ongoing trip log, to keep a record of my canoe trips in one place and have links to pictures and blogs of them. Kind of an ongoing blog of blogs, or a "metablog" maybe. Well, it keeps me out of trouble on dark winter nights when there's nowt on telly....

ONGOING....

TRIP LOG FOLLOWS BELOW....

Updated 19th-June-2017 at 10:23 AM by Crow

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TRIP LOG

This is a log of canoe trips I've been on since joining SOTP. Or at least the ones that have been blogged. Click on the pictures to see the full blogs and trip reports.

PART 1 - June 2009 - July 2009 (and some earlier stuff)

1. Loch Veyatie and Suilven, Sutherland, Scotland, June 2009

My first SOTP trip and my first attempt at a blog. It was a glorious cloudless week in June. John and I padded to the base of Suilven then climbed it. Then did the same with Stac Polly the next day. Canoe mountaineering - one of the reasons I got a canoe in the first place.

2. Loch Awe, Scotland, 2005-2008

I used to do a camping trip to the islands of Loch Awe every summer with my son James and my old Venture Ranger. Usually on the August bank holiday. The blog is a compilation of pics from these trips. This is pretty much where we learned to canoe. Lovely place but gets windy!

3. Tyne Green, Northumberland, England, June 2009

The first time I met Ingo (Sundowner). I had the Pack, James brought his touring kayak and Ingo had his inflatable Sevylor in those days. Just messing about on the river...

4. Isle of Rum, Scotland, July 2009

A cycling tour of Rum with Janet that turned into a canoe trip. We hired a canoe and paddled round the coast to a bothy, then climbed the Rum Cuillins.

Updated 21st-November-2010 at 04:10 PM by Crow (will be updated regularly! (until I lose interest and take up collecting porcelain thimbles or something...))
    PART 2 - July 2009 - October 2009

This is a log of canoe trips I've been on since joining SOTP. Or at least the ones that have been blogged. Click on the pictures to see the full blogs and trip reports.

5. Amsterdam, July 2009

An event organised by Maromeier. We camped at the Slotterplaz Canoe Club, then paddled about 30 km through the canals in the centre of Amsterdam. Met up with a good number of Holland-based SOTP members, including Paddler.NL and Lowlander. Had lunch at a brewery! Took the boys but not sure what they got up to!!!

6. Caledonian Canal, September 2009

Blogged in four parts - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Big event organised by Bootstrap Bob. Memorable for strong winds and big waves on Loch Lochy. Exciting stuff, especially in the wee Pack and some awfie big waves!!

7. Red Rock, River Tyne, Northumberland, October 2009

Red Rock Disaster. In which Ingo (Sundowner) and I managed to sink my red boat and lose my camera! So then I had to hand illustrate the blog. Still gives Ingo nightmares. (My drawings that is, not the trip...)

8. Loch Ard, Scotland, October 2009

A peaceful camping trip on Halloween to Loch Ard with DonMacn and BigMike. Featuring autumn colours and gourmet food.

Updated 22nd-November-2010 at 10:10 PM by Crow
    PART 3 - November 2009 - December 2009

9.Tyne Tour, November 2009

This is where I first met the Smurfs. We paddled the North Tyne from Kielder to Wark as part of the annual Tyne Tour event. This involved being perched irretrievably on rocks and scooting down rapids backwards at various times throughout the day.

10. Castle Semple Loch, December 2009

The annual SOTP Christmas meet. With MagiKelly, Willag Mac, Bikemec in Santa gear, and many others. A very misty day, but a great barbecue..

11. River Wear, County Durham, Boxing Day 2009

The annual Boxing Day race from Durham to Finchale Abbey. Deep snow and chilly!! I didn't win but I didn't sink either.

12. Thirlmere, Lake District, December 2009

Retro's birthday do. Sunshine, snowy hills, part frozen lake. Cars stuck in car park and getting towed out!

Updated 22nd-November-2010 at 10:09 PM by Crow
    PART 4 - March 2010

13. Piel Island, Cumbrian Coast, March 2010

A cold bivvy, then a coastal paddle with Retro and Aslan out to Piel Island with castle and (unfortunately closed at that time of year) pub, then on past the shipyards into Barrow.

14. River Tees, Tees Barrage to Preston Hall, March 2010

A trip with Aslan who turned up in his folding kayak in the back of a Smart car. Headed upstream past Captain Cook's ship and on into the unexplored hinterland of Teesside....
    Updated 22nd-November-2010 at 10:10 PM by Crow
    PART 5 - April 2010

15. Brazil, April 2010

TonyBR invited us to come over to Brazil for a paddle with him some time. The Smurfs and I took him up on the offer. Unfortunately he got more than he bargained for, as we were stranded there for a month due to the volcanic ash cloud from Iceland! Nonetheless he and his family were extremely hospitable. And he makes great canoes! Buy one! (No connection, but I won't turn down any commission, Tony...)

We had a grand time and many blogs resulted:

Updated 22nd-November-2010 at 07:26 PM by Crow
    PART 6 - May 2010 - August 2010

16. Sandwood Bay, Loch Laxford & Ullapool,May 2010

Janet and I set out to paddle to Sandwood Bay on the far north west tip of Scotland, but ended up walking there instead. We then paddled on Loch Laxford where we camped on an island in the sea loch. Finally ending up in Ullapool and paddling on Loch Broom.

17. Island of Tiree, June 2010

This is cheating as it's not a canoeing trip at all, but it is a beautiful island! I took my mother there to see where her grandmother came from....

18. Loch Ard, June 2010

Scottydog's stag paddle. Various reprobates turned up.

19. Cumbrae Islands, Firth of Clyde, August 2010

A wild and stormy circumnavigation of Great Cumbrae and Little Cumbrae islands with my son James. A scary trip but strangely satisfying. Camped on and explored Wee Cumbrae. Met two nuclear submarines and a colony of seals.

Updated 22nd-November-2010 at 08:41 PM by Crow
    PART 7 - August 2010 - September 2010

20. Applecross and Loch Torridon, August-September 2010

A family holiday in Applecross on the shores of outer Loch Torridon. Everyone had a go in the boat at one time or another and we had fantastic weather. And James got stung by a jellyfish!

21. Crowlin Islands, September 2010

Janet and I paddled out to the Crowlin Islands, in the sea between Scotland and Skye, passing dolphins and seals along the way.

22. SOTP BIG MEET, Ullswater, September 2010

5,000 SOTP-ers congregated on a campsite by Ullswater. Took the tipi. Janet and the dog came to visit. Stood in for TGB. Met TGB. Met hundereds of others. A grand meet organised by Tisme!

23. Dinsdale Loop, River Tees, September 2010

Mickeyfinn organised this short paddle on the River Tees, featuring a collection of people, many of whom met for the first time at the BIG MEET. A nice wee weir in the middle.

Updated 29th-January-2011 at 11:19 AM by Crow
    Best thing I've read this year. Really looking forward to the finished work!

I realise this is a work in progress and promise not to make any silly comments until you are finished.

PS I owe you a pint!

Updated 22nd-November-2010 at 12:33 PM by Crow
    PART 8 - October 2010 - November 2010

24. Durham to Chester Le Street via Finchale Abbey, River Wear, October 2010

The NE group paddle down the Wear to Finchale Abbey. Mike and I continue to Chester Le Street encountering an irate gamekeeper along the way.

25. Loch Eck and River Eachaig, Argyll, October 2010

A visit to Loch Eck with Pack canoe and folding bicycle. Started off in thick mist, which gradually melted away to give some beautiful views. Followed by a short sharp ride on the River Ecky.

26. Tyne Tour, Haydon Bridge to Hexham, November 2010

This year decided to do the South Tyne strech of the annual Tyne Tour event. Ingo brought his new boat to try. Ingo's arm was twisted to make him go in his new boat. Lots of fun on rocky bouncy water, in the Pack once more.

27. Amble to Warkworth and back, River Coquet, November 2010

A short paddle from the Coquet estuary at Amble, upriver past Warkworth castle to the weir on the rising tide, then back again by the outgoing tide before darkness fell. Avoiding the rain (mostly). With some of the NE squad.

Updated 25th-November-2010 at 06:45 PM by Crow
    Phew! That's it up to date for now. Til the next trip, whenever that is....

Thanks for reading.

PART 9 - December 2010 - February 2011

28. Rydal Water, Lake District, England, December 2010

A very snowy week in the Lakes when Rydal Water went and froze on me!

29. River Till, Northumberland, January 2011

A windy river trip with some "interesting" rapids half way down.

30. Amble to Warkworth, River Coquet, Northumberland, February 2011

Coquet and Warkworth Castle once more. Plus a visit to the Hermitage. With Mojo Mick.

Updated 24th-March-2011 at 10:52 AM by Crow
    Crow, love your no nonsense approach, joy to read and inspiring. you dont half get about.
    thanks for posting
    Nice one, Brother Crow. I didn't know about these Journal thingies before. Thanks.
    some cool looking places there mr crow a few insperational ones to ive lots of catching up to do cheers jim
    PART 10 - March 2011

Orkney

31. Stromness to the Ring of Brodgar, Orkney, March 2011

An early March trip to Orkney and a windy paddle from the sea up to the Loch of Stenness and the stone circle at Brodgar.

32. Old Man of Hoy and the Bay of Birsay, Orkney, March 2011

More from our Orkney trip. A cycle trip across Hoy, snowy scenes and a sea paddle in the surf on the Bay of Birsay.

33. Skibo Geo, Marwick Head and Scapa Flow, Orkney, March 2011

Final instalment of Orkney trip. Cliff top walks and a paddle round the wrecks in Scapa Flow.

Updated 29th-March-2011 at 07:30 PM by Crow
    PART 11 - March 2011 - April 2011

34. Preston Park to Yarm and back, River Tees, March 2011

Out on the river today I saw a Deadhead sticker on an Old Town Pack. Sunny trip with 100 canoes on the River Tees.

35. Derwent Water, Derwent River and Bassenthwaite Lake, April 2011

SOTP trip to Keswick. Soggy campsite, sunny day. Fancy dress and curry.

36. Fairlie Bay, Ayrshire, April 2011

Mad Rabbit Road Test. Trying out my new Mad River Synergy open top sea kayak ish boat, at my mum's in Ayrshire.

37. Kerrera Island, April 2011

Circumnavigating the island of Kerrera, near Oban, in the new Synergy. Wild camp by Gylen Castle. With parrots and a hoodie crow.

Updated 4th-October-2016 at 10:08 PM by Crow
    PART 12 - May 2011 - June 2011

38. Newburn to North Shields, River Tyne, May 2011

With Kayakjedi, a trip through the city of Newcastle and on to the sea, battling against the tide. A long day, but rewarding.

39. North Shields to Tynemouth, River Tyne, May 2011

With Kayakjedi again in his new kayak, playing around between North Shields and the mouth of the Tyne. Practised a bit of self rescue. Lost glasses!

40. Lismore to Mull to Loch Sunart, June 2011

A 5 day expedition with Wavecloud on his SUP. A 60 mile circuit of the Moidart Peninsula. My longest trip yet, tiring but great fun.

41. River Thames, London, June 2011

Joined the Thames Quest (Mal Grey et al) on the stretch from Teddington to Shadwell, through the centre of London.

Updated 29th-July-2011 at 08:49 PM by Crow
    PART 13 - July 2011 - August 2011

42. Glenelg and Loch Hourn, July 2011

A week in Glenelg with the family. Paddling in the Sound of Sleat, off Skye and in Loch Hourn. Sunny daze...

43. North Shields, July 2011

The Grand Opening of Kayakjedi's new canoe rental business. Trying out some SOTs in the surf...

44. Lindisfarne, August 2011

A circumnavigation of Lindisfarne island, including big waves, caves, sandbanks, sun, rain, castles and seals

45. Arran and Holy Isle, August 2011

A trip to Holy Isle off Arran with James. Involving goats, Tibetan monks, and a game of Risk. Plus getting marooned there for an extra night due to high winds.

Updated 13th-September-2011 at 09:58 PM by Crow
    PART 14 - September 2011 - October 2011

46. SOTP Big Meet, Ullswater, September 2011

The second Big Meet near Pooley Bridge. Windy weather, brought the tipi and had a midnight paddle...

47. Loch Lomond, September 2011

A trip to Loch Lomond with MaryinOxford to try out a Hobie Mirage pedal/flipper powered canoe.

48. Loch Eck, September 2011

A trip to Loch Eck tp meet up with Old Man and Twozup. A dark paddle back from the pub when I couldn't find my tent!

49. River Wear, Durham, October 2011

A sunny autumn Sunday afternoon in Durham City.

Updated 16th-November-2011 at 06:59 PM by Crow
    PART 15 - November 2011 - January 2012

50. Pembrokeshire, November 2011

A week on the Pembrokeshire coast with Janet, Shiloh and my new sea kayak. Big Surf! And bicycles...

51. Windermere, November 2011

On strike, so Daniel, James and I went over to the Lakes to meet up with Gav and Tracy for a paddle on Windermere, on a cold blowy day. Beats working though!

52. Windermere, December 2011

Gav's birthday paddle on Thirlmere which turned out to be Windermere due to high winds!

53. South Tyne, January 2012

Hayden Bridge to Hexham on the South Tyne, using James's motorbike for the shuttle.

Updated 9th-February-2012 at 11:50 AM by Crow (new trips!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast