• Home make canoe trailer for my sailing canoe

I sail a Valkyrie Craft Erne Tourer which is 3 inches wider than most canoes for greater stability and correspondingly heavier. As I wanted to be able to go sailing on my own (living dangerously or what ), I converted a trailer to carry the canoe, mast, sail and outriggers, so I didn't have to break my back getting it on and off the roof rack.

I bought a Daxara 107 trailer (same as an Erde 102) which is the smallest lightest trailer you can get, on special offer for 140. The shaft was only 1 metre long but was made of standard mild steel box section, so I got a 3 metre length of box section fitted instead. This what it looks like.

The tow hitch unbolts from the original bar and bolts on to the new bar which is bolted onto the underneath of the trailer. I got a bicycle holder lightbar to hang from the back. Initially I tried hanging it from the canoe, but the ropes kept coming undone, so I just attached it to the back of the trailer with cable ties.

The canoe is strapped on to two 2x1 wood crossbars held onto the sides of the trailer by one screw at each side down throught the rim. The wood bars are covered with pipe insulation for padding, held on with gaffer tape. The rope goes round underneath the trailer to hold the supports on if the screws give way (so far they haven't given way after around a year's use - 51 voyages)

This is the view of the front

The straps are standard canoe roofrack straps

The mast is held onto the wood crosspieces with rubber bungeys

The bow of the boat sticks out along the towbar, with the centre of gravity over the wheels

The towbar looks long in this picture because it's slightly wide-angle

To get the canoe on and off, I seesaw it from side to side to get one gunwhale resting on the end of the crossbars, and the other held by me. I lower the gunwhale down onto the ground like this

and then just roll it over upright. Here is another view

Then I unstrap the outriggers and supports from under the seats and put them together

The trailer is very light and you can easily wheel it by hand up and down slopes with the canoe on top, to get to the waterside.

It tows really stably (at speeds which are illegal) over long distances (to Lake Windermere and back by ferry across the Irish Sea. Also a few other long trips of several hundred miles). The suspension absorbs bumps well, although you need to travel very slowly on a non-tarred road.

I'll do another thread about my sailing rig and outriggers.

Best Wishes

Frank
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Trailer for my sailing canoe started by Windblown View original post