• Sea to Summit Alpha 2.2 pot set review

Alpha 2.2 pots review

Sea to Summit kindly agreed to send me a set of their Alpha Pots to review. Iím not being paid for the review and get to say what I want without running it by them. I do get to keep the pots though so if you think thatís enough to buy my opinion you can keep it in mind

The set I got sent is the 2.2 set most suitable for two people. https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/produc...ha-pot-set-22/

The specs are in the link above. All packed together it looks like this.

Then Russian doll style you reveal more and more as shown below.

Till you end up with all this before you.

ďAll thisĒ being two pots with lids, two bowls, two sort of insulated mugs with drinking lids and a dish towel. Add a couple of folding sporks inside the mugs (which I have) and you have more or less a complete cooking and eating set up. Barring a stove.

I say stove as there are dire warnings on the packaging and the pots themselves about how these are not suitable for using on a fire. So donít use them on a fire.

Okay so I might have used them on the firebox a little bit. Okay loads but in my defence it does not say to not use them on a firebox. Now just in case anyone is a little hard of thinking, the plastic cups and bowls really and truly cannot be used on the fire, firebox or stove for that matter

I did email Sea to Summit to ask about the fire warning. Apparently it is because the silicone covering the handle can melt as can the little handle in the middle of the pot lid. In my opinion if you have the handle in the flames to get it that hot and / or the middle of the lid then you are going to have bigger problems than the melting of the silicone.

Speaking of the handles, these swing round horizontal line and click into position.

And then lock into position with a tab. It can be quite stiff to get to lock but it rock solid once it is.

Iíve been kind of brainwashed for years into thinking that for a firebox or fire I needed to use pots with a bail arm. Iíve used tatonka and zebra pots for this and looking back it was a mistake. The bail arm can fall over and get burning hot in the flames. Itís really difficult to pour unless you somehow tip the pot up from the bottom using a stick or the like.

Looking at it objectively there is a reason almost all pots for home use have a handle sticking out the side. Itís the easiest to use. Iím loving just lifting the pot off when I want with no need for gloves and being able to pour out the contents. Sure I canít hang the pots from a branch or chain but I never did so donít miss that at all.

Talking about pouring letís chat about the lids a bit. First off on the inside of the central handle there is a tab so you can hang the lid on the edge of the pot. But of course not when it is on a fire or stove. You can see this in the two pictures above.

The lids also have holes in them to let the steam out when cooking. There is a single hole on one edge and a group of holes on the opposite edge. As well as letting steam out these are great for draining food or pouring hot water into containers. For a thin controlled stream use the single hole side.

Or for a faster pour use the multiple hole side.

Itís small details like this that make a big difference when using the pots. Other details include both pots being marked out with various volumes to judge quantities for cooking. The nesting together keeps it as a compact set and the handle rotating round locks the lid on for transport.

The sizes of the pots cover pretty much the range you would need. Fret not, the larger pot can fit two full grown haggis in it at the same time.

Once the haggis are cooked you can use the lid to pour out the water to make your mashed potatoes, (donít say I donít give you recipe ideas)

The smaller pot we tended to use more for pasta, noodles and the like. It holds plenty for two people.

I should probably discuss the bowls a bit. They are plastic and hold food in a way only bowls can. Thanks to the edges your soup does not run off the edges like it does with plates

So what about the mugs? Iím glad you asked. They are good.

They hold enough for a decent mug of coffee (other beverages are available) and the neoprene sleeve helps to keep the drink warm. It also stops you burning your fingers although the plastic cup in itself is already pretty insulating. The silicone lids let you still drink from the mug while keeping the heat in longer and make it much less likely to spill. Handy round camp with a dearth of level spots to put cups down.

However, give the lids a good wash before the first use. If you donít your first coffee will have a strong taste of old rubber boots. You can guess how I know this. After a good wash the lids donít impart any taste. They can be a bit fiddly to get on though. Whether this increases the chance of spilling more than the lid being on reduces is still a matter for study.

As a set of pots there is little to criticise. Given how complete the set is I find it strange that it does not come with cutlery. They do fit. I immediately added two folding sporks so I have one bundle to grab for my cooking and eating.

These are not the lightest set available but they are light. If you wanted really lightweight you could do without one of the pots. Despite the light weight these do feel strong enough to put up with outdoor use. I am use to using steel pots and had no worries about damaging these.

Ironically the biggest weakness for these pots may come when used on a stove.

Many of the new pots coming to the market have built in heat exchangers in the base to maximise the efficiency of the stove. These donít. With these you just get the plain base. This suits me as it means they can be used on a stove or the firebox and are not only suitable for one type of stove.

So in conclusion Iím very impressed with this set. It takes up less room and weighs less than my steel pot while performing better. I canít reasonably ask for more than that.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Sea to Summit Alpha 2.2 pot set review started by MagiKelly View original post