View RSS Feed

pierre girard

1. OVER THE SEA Chapter 1

This a story, was first begun for my grandchildren, the eldest of whom has recently shown an interest in history. The protagonist would be his 10th great-grandfather. The narrative quickly reached beyond anything I could explain in grade-school vocabulary. The style is somewhat simplistic as I have hopes he will be able to read it before he is out of high school. It is, of course, fiction - based on fact. The attempts at 17th century English dialects will be a hard sell, I'm sure, but the actual ...

Updated 18th-June-2014 at 02:52 AM by pierre girard (spelling, grammar)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. OVER THE SEA Chapter 1 (continued)

At Topcliffe Hall however, he was exposed to his learned grandfather’s papers and turned to them as an escape from a somewhat wretched existence. When Zack came of age he came into a small house and tenant farm, an inheritance from his parents, and originally belonging to his mother’s family. The Landlord was Lord Saville, an aristocrat with little thought for his tenants. Zack was not too good at farming, and despite his best efforts he’d had a hard time making a living. Zack’s parents had left ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. OVER THE SEA Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2:

FIRST WINTER

The first winter was very hard. They were short of provisions and their shelter was inadequate. There were times when Zack thought none of them would survive.

The summer had been taken up building more substantial shelters. The canvas and brush shelters they’d built on arrival would not get them through the winter. Zack worked with a man named Simon Hoyt from the west of England who’d landed at Naumkeag, or Salem, the year before. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. OVER THE SEA Chapter 2 (continued)

Zack watched how the Indians would move in the forest, very quietly and gracefully. With his new moggasins, he found he could make less noise in the forest. In his conversations with the Indians, still mostly gestures, though he was learning a few words – they told him of running down deer until the deer was too tired to run – then killing the deer with a knife or even a rock. Zack was not sure he believed this, but in after years he found it to be true – a man could run longer, though not as fast, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. OVER THE SEA Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

MASSACHUSETTS BAY

By July, they were having problems at Charlestown. Much of the water was brackish, and illness soon began to break out and several people died. A Reverend Blaxton, who had settled to the south on a large peninsula named Shawmut, invited the settlers to come and live near him as there were very good springs and plenty of water for everyone. The people wanted good water – not so much to drink – as to make beer. People from England at that time ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast