View RSS Feed

Chainsaw

1. Full tang knife build along part 5

so as we left it all the roughing out was done, plenty big scratches left by the 80 grade paper.

now time to do the same, top, bottom, left side, right side, butt and go through all the grades. This is the first pass down to about 600, still some scratches on the side beside the ...

Updated 16th-August-2012 at 01:45 PM by Chainsaw

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Full tang knife buildalong part 4

Right where did we get to, ah yes sanding.

Sanding can be nasty, wood can be nasty so I invested in a good mask to filter out all the dust. It works great, how do I know? The lack of wooden bogies are a big hint!! I use a good few grades of sandpaper, 80, 120, 240, 400, 600 and 1200 then finishing off with a buffing wheel and some compound. You saw what it looked like after being glued up, square a blocky but with the pencil line visible.

Updated 16th-August-2012 at 01:38 PM by Chainsaw

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Full tang knife build along part 3

Right, ready to glue. This is the most nerve racking bit. Some acetone to clean everything down and remove any grease, also make sure there is as little dust as possible so I went into the kitchen for this. I find it's good if you bring it in 24 hours before you glue, even though it's stabilised wood there may be some expansion and contraction of the materials. Maybe not though!!! Good old araldite slow setting stuff, the fast set stuff is just too fast, even with the slow stuff it gets ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Full tang knife buildalong part 2

Right where were we...

Ah yeah, all done, liners were drilled in the same way using the same drill. I tend to drill through the holes in the blade tang to make sure they line up. In this pic the other half of the bolt is in situ poking up the way.

Dryfit to make sure everything ...

Updated 15th-August-2012 at 05:19 AM by Chainsaw

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Full tang knife buildalong (part 1)

Well got some spare time this week as I'm determined to keep out of the hotel bar... You know you've spent too much time in there when the Barman (Dennis) has a pint of Anchor Steam ready for you by the time you've finished chatting to the waiter on the way to 'your stool' So thought I'd do a buildalong.

Wanted to do a stainless Enzo for someone who spends a fair bit of time on the water so picked it up from another Dennis, the guy who runs brisa in finland. Already had the liners, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast